cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access remote Exchange Server

mamelas
Level 4

Dear BE Gurus,

Backup Exec is installed on a Windows 2003 server and he is a part of the domain computers.

I have also a second Main Windows 2008 R2 server with remote agent installed.
This server has Microsoft Exchange 2010 SP1 and he is also Domain Controller.

I would like to use Backup Exec in order to backup Exchange’s Database (public folders, personal mailboxes etc.) and trim the transaction logs.

After creating a new backup job and using View by Source Tab I was trying to access the Remote Windows 2008 Server and his Exchange.

But under Exchange’s icon there was no data available to backup...

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You are correct, the local media server (where the full edition of Backup Exec 2010 is installed) needs to be a Windows 2008 (64 bit) or Windows 2008R2 server.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Exchange backup requires to have the Exchange Management Tools installed on the Backup Exec server.
The 2010 version of these tools are only available in 64-bit and can only be installed on 64-bit Windows 2008 / 2008R2 servers.

You will have to upgrade you backup server to 2008 / 2008R2.

mamelas
Level 4

Dear ZeRoC00L,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

As far as I can understand you say that I need to upgrade the local media server which is a Windows 2003 server in order to backup the Remote Windows 2008 Exchange server?

So its not possible to backup Exchange from the remote server which is already Windows 2008 64bit?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You are correct, the local media server (where the full edition of Backup Exec 2010 is installed) needs to be a Windows 2008 (64 bit) or Windows 2008R2 server.

mamelas
Level 4

Final Question, so if I upgrade to Windows 2008 will I be able to backup the remote Windows 2008 Exchange server? or the installation should be done on the Exchange Server?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes, if you upgrade the BE server you will be able to backup the remote 2008 Exchange 2010 sever.

You also can install BE on the Exchange server (and remove it from the original one, you have only 1 license) and connect the tape unit (if any).

mamelas
Level 4

Thank you very much for your quick and in detail answers’

Thumbs up!