cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot add HP tape library in BE storages

Borealis
Level 4

Hello,

BE 2014SP2 in Windows 2012R2 Server (VM) with library expansion option and current maintenance

I'm trying to setup HP MSL4048 tape library. The HCL prooves the validity of the specified HP model.

The steps I'm  following:

• I select Configure Storage from the Storage tab of the BE management console
  • I select the listed BE Server
  • On "which type of storage do you want to configure?" I select Tape storage
  • On "what type of tape storage do you want to configure?" there's only one selection "Run the Hot-swappable Device Wizard" which apparently has nothing to do with tape libraries..

So what am I missing here? I know the BE drivers are not supported when BE installed on Windows 2012R2.

Is there something that need to be done prior the above steps?

Any help is much appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you're using a VM for the media server and that's why. Symantec don't support BE on a VM accessing physical devices like tape.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130609

Your issue lies with getting the tape library detected in the VM itself first, so check Device Manager...BE will see what Windows sees.

That said, newer versions of VMware have stopped SCSI passthrough. Best bet is to get a physical machine and run BE on this as you will end up beingn supported.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

...you're using a VM for the media server and that's why. Symantec don't support BE on a VM accessing physical devices like tape.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130609

Your issue lies with getting the tape library detected in the VM itself first, so check Device Manager...BE will see what Windows sees.

That said, newer versions of VMware have stopped SCSI passthrough. Best bet is to get a physical machine and run BE on this as you will end up beingn supported.

Thanks!

Borealis
Level 4

Thx

CraigV

No worries!