cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot apply SP4 to Backup Exec 2010R3 SP3

RickNY
Level 2

Hi all.. Current have BE 2010R3 SP3 installed on a Windows Server 2008R2 system with all OS patches installed.  I've been attempting to update the Backup Exec installation to SP4 for an eventual upgrade to Backup Exec 15, but the update to SP4 failes.

When viewing installed hotfixes, Backup Exec only shows SP3.  I have tried to install SP4 via LiveUpdate and by using the standalone SP4 installer, and both fail.  From both the bkupinst.htm file and the MSI logfile, I see instances of "Error 1328" just before the installer rolls back and informs me it fails:

From bkupinst.htm after using Live Update:

05-05-2015,11:52:31 : File: vxmon.exe, Directory: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\, Size: 1397584 
05-05-2015,11:52:31 : ERROR: Error 1328.Error applying patch to file C:\Config.Msi\PT5CC.tmp. It has probably been updated by other means, and can no longer be modified by this patch. For more information contact your patch vendor. 
05-05-2015,11:52:31 : Action ended 11:52:31: InstallExecute. Return value 3. 
05-05-2015,11:52:31 : Action 11:52:31: Rollback. Rolling back action: 

From the MSI logfile after using the standalone installer:

Error 1328.Error applying patch to file C:\Config.Msi\PT279A.tmp.  It has probably been updated by other means, and can no longer be modified by this patch.  For more information contact your patch vendor.  System Error: -1072807676

I have tried a repairing the current installation from Control Panel, and it repairs successfully and have rebooted after that point -- but does not help with the SP4 install.  Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RickNY
Level 2

I ended up doing an uninstall from Add/Remove and used the option to maintain my data and catalogs.  I then used the current ISO with SP4 embedded to reinstall, and it worked properly.

Thanks,

Rick

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If you have an antivirus installed, stop and disable the services and try the installation agan.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Do ensure the option to unhide files/folders, system files is enabled from folder options and browse to C:\Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed

Search for 14.1.1786 in the above directory. Rename the resulting folder.

Rerun the service pack install using elevated rights.

RickNY
Level 2

I ended up doing an uninstall from Add/Remove and used the option to maintain my data and catalogs.  I then used the current ISO with SP4 embedded to reinstall, and it worked properly.

Thanks,

Rick