cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot assign media types to robotic library

JMasseyNC
Level 2

Hello. We have recently installed an LTO8 tape drive. We have two robotic libraries configured, one with our older LTO6 drives and one with our new LTO8 drive. Global bar code rules are configured; however, when I try to configure the new drive to read/write to the LTO8 bar code rule, there are no options to select besides "***" and "CLN". Please see screenshots attached.

Thank you for any help anyone can provide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JMasseyNC
Level 2

We found the solution. We needed to disable barcode rules for that library because it only had one drive. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JMasseyNC
Level 2

We found the solution. We needed to disable barcode rules for that library because it only had one drive. 

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Generally, bar code rules are only needed when you have mixed generations of drives within one library.  So, I am not sure you even need bar code rules in your environment.  Are you attempting to use bar code rules in case someone imports the wrong media into the wrong tape library?  Bar code rules CAN work properly (but are pointless) on a single drive tape library.  Turning off bar code rules for that single drive library is perfectly fine.

Your LTO6 screenshot shows you might be attempting to use media that an LTO6 drive does not physically support.  Basically, for an LTO6 drive you would ONLY want read & write for LTO5 and LTO6 cartridges, plus read only for LTO4 cartridges.

Your LTO8 screenshot should have the same media types listed as is in your LTO6 screenshot.  The LTO8 screenshot make me think that your hardware has not been discovered properly.  What tape library is being used for the LTO8 drive?  What is the connection? (FC? SAS?).  Make sure that you are NOT using the HPE LTO tape driver.  Make sure that you are not using an unsupported RAID-capable HBA.  http://www.veritas.com/docs/000038683