cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot attach to C$ on winxp remote

Michael__Graebe
Level 3
I am running 10.0 SBS version on a win2000 sbs server. I have installed the remote agent on the XP sp2 workstation by copying rant32, etc.
When I attempt to create a backupset for this workstation I receive a message in a yellow box indicating that there could be a license issue, or an install issue with the agent.
Services on the workstation indicate installed and running.
Tried uninstall and reinstall, turned off firewall, etc. MSBACKUP works OK.
Other workstation with XP sp2 same problem.
Other workstation with WIN2K OK.
16 REPLIES 16

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Have you opened the XP Firewall to allow the ports required by BackupExec?

Joker212
Level 2
Make sure the account that you are using to back up has local admin rights to the XP machine. I would keep the firewall off while testing new solutions as well.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
if these XP machines are not Domain Members, are you specifying connect as in the form "machinename\user-id"?

Danny_Satterlee
Level 3
I too have this issue. I've tried creating the group policy setting that Microsoft offers, but to no avail. All of my Win 2000 machines are backing up fine but with 200 xp clients I need a solution. Just now entering the test phase and need a solution.

Danny_Satterl1
Level 2
In the appropriate GPO, drill down to Computer Configuration > Network > Network Connections > Windows Firewall > Domain Profile.

In the Windows Firewall: Define program exceptions, add this: %ProgramFiles%\Veritas\Backup Exec\RANT\beremote.exe:*:Enabled:beremote

That will allow the beremote.exe access through the firewall. I added on other exception as well...

In the Windows Firewall: Define port exceptions, add this: 10000:TCP:*:Enabled:Veritas

See Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=873164

Michael__Graebe
Level 3
Thanks,

That seems to have pushed me past the problem but into a new problem.
The login that I am trying to use to attach to the work station seem unacceptable. Normally, DOMAIN Name\Administrator works. (At least it did with 8.6). I've tried a variety of combinations, no success. Would you have any suggestions?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Do you actually have a domain? or just a workgroup

if it is just a workgroup, use the same format, but substitute the remote machine name for domain-name. Be sure that you specify an ID on the local machine with admin rights

Michael__Graebe
Level 3
Yes, I have a domain. Attached to the domain is a small server running W2K. Agent is installed on small member server. Can attach to small server with the usual admin login.
I have also set the Use simple file sharing check box in folders options.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You've done the tweak for XP, and you've disabled the XP firewall, and still can't backup the XP machine. the machine is in a domain, and you are using a domain admin ID

The only thing I can think of (and this is REALLY a stretch ) would be to specify a local admin id on the XP machine rather than a Domain ID. But I really don't think that this will solve your problem.

Michael__Graebe
Level 3
Thanks again. I tried the "local admin" route already. One thing I haven't tried is a fresh install on an XP box.

Danny_Satterlee
Level 3
It's me again... guess what? I too have that issue. I'm meeting with my three partners tomorrow to review and come up with some common issues among the problem pcs. I'm in test mode and for every 10 clients, I'm coming up with 2 or 3 that cannot authenticate with the system sign on.

We're very consistant with configurations, so this is really driving me nuts. If it happens on one, it should happen with the other. I'm in the process of updating all of the problem pcs with the latest BIOS versions and making sure the WIndows updates are complete.

Sorry I can't offer more, but if you come across a solution I'd love to hear it. Good luck!

Michael__Graebe
Level 3
Thanks for the moral support. I tried the fresh start on an XP box, same results. Tried everything on a 2000 box, push the agent, attach, etc - worked like a charm.
Using MSBACKUP can attach to XP with out problem.

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

With regards to your query, it seems that this may happen due to a lodon credentials issue. Please perform the following and verify the reults:

- Enable restrict anonymous on both server and the XP machine. Please refer to the following technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/238618.htm

- Create a new user on the XP machine. Give local admin rights.

- Create a logon account for the same account on the media server.

- Create a new backup job from scratch and use the new logon account in order to backup the remote XP machine.

Verify the results.

We hope this will help.

Thanks.

Michael__Graebe
Level 3
No Help

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

we suggest you to add beremote.exe to exceptions tab on the XP firewall configuration and verify the result.

Refer the following technote:-

On attempt to connect to a remote XP workstation, Backup Exec hangs, and keeps prompting for user name and password.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/275489

Thank you for updating us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.Message was edited by:
deepali

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.