cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot back up system state

JonahIJ
Level 3

Good afternoon,

We are currently experiencing an issue when attempting to backup one of our servers.

We are running full backups on 7 Windows 2008 servers, but one is failing when it comes to back up the system state.

The error is reported as:

- AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\<SERVER>\System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
V-79-10000-11223 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider that you selected cannot snap this volume. Select the default snapshot provider, and then run the job again.
The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:" "X:" .

The issue appears to be "X:" - this is the DVD drive on the server and obviously VSS isn't able to snap it, and this is the only server on which this is apparently a dependent resource. I'm prety sure it shouldn't be listed here at all?

I have checked in the seemingly obvious places (I'm not much of an expert with BE) to no avail, would anybody know how to resolve this and remove X: as a dependent resource?

Cheers,

16 REPLIES 16

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Try the work around mentioned in the following TNs...

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67073

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH138359

Hope this helps...

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

see if this helps in resolving the issue

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67305

Try re-creating backup selection and see if that helps . in backup job select the automatically select th snapshot provider

JonahIJ
Level 3

Thanks for assisting - unfortunately, no joy with the suggestions above.

Kiran - the issue appears to be with the DVD drive, and as such there is no "Shadow Copies" tab within the drives properties page.

RahulG - Nothing of note within the temp folder as suggested under that article.

Still none the wiser, but your help is appreciated!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Jonah,

Have you gone into your selection list, and then into text view? This will show you what is backed up. Check and make sure that your X:\ drive is not listed, and if it is, delete it.

This should sort out your backups if this is the issue.

Please post back...

Thanks!

JonahIJ
Level 3

Yep, X: is definitely not listed.

To confirm, I have tried backing up solely the System State of the server, with nothing else selected.

We get the same error almost instantly as the job attempts to run.  I am only assuming here, but it looks like AOFO/VSS is trying to initialise on the X: drive (CD/DVD drive), which it obviously can't and so we are getting the failure.

Somehow I need to remove the dependency on X: from the System State... I think?! As I say in the original post, I haven't had much dealings with BE in depth!

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You are right there is the dependency on X and we have to find where the dependecy coming from. Is there any snapshot provider you are using on this server like qlogic or any other because those are also 3rd party snapshot provider which does this.

Is this a VM where your c drive is migrated from other vm or done a p2v or a Physical machine.

Is this drive been migrated in Raid configuration?

Is the drive letter changed ?

Also can you do vssadmin list writer on command prompt to check how many writers it shows for snapshot.

CraigV

OK Jonah...if it is trying to initialise the AOFO cache on the X:\ drive, you need to try move it to another drive. Read the TN below, and see if it helps you! You would obviously select that server where you are getting your error.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH32425

Thanks!

JonahIJ
Level 3

Hi sazz,

There are no third party snaphot providers being used - this is a fairly new server and nothing additional has been added regarding snaphot providers.

It's not a VM, but a physical box with a manual 2008 installation.

The X: drive in question is a physical CD/DVD drive so has no special configuration.

Drive letter was set as X: right afgter the 2008 installation - we use X: on all other servers and this is the only one with the reported issue.

Output from vssadmin list writer is:

Writer name: 'System Writer'
   Writer Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
   Writer Instance Id: {87943b56-4068-427f-91e7-cd1720b3221d}
   State: [1] Stable
   Last error: No error

Writer name: 'ASR Writer'
   Writer Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}
   Writer Instance Id: {31e6a189-c98c-4cbb-89a7-289ee968f874}

Writer name: 'Shadow Copy Optimization Writer'
   Writer Id: {4dc3bdd4-ab48-4d07-adb0-3bee2926fd7f}
   Writer Instance Id: {e334e017-c739-44a7-bdd9-2e57acd3e3af}

Writer name: 'Registry Writer'
   Writer Id: {afbab4a2-367d-4d15-a586-71dbb18f8485}
   Writer Instance Id: {18b4fad0-555e-4565-9b6b-ff2fa1ba2a95}

Writer name: 'COM+ REGDB Writer'
   Writer Id: {542da469-d3e1-473c-9f4f-7847f01fc64f}
   Writer Instance Id: {6033f039-ceaa-47f8-9d18-0cf34eb70a3b}

Writer name: 'BITS Writer'
   Writer Id: {4969d978-be47-48b0-b100-f328f07ac1e0}
   Writer Instance Id: {27e54cf4-466e-466c-9117-77dc47f7c090}

Writer name: 'WMI Writer'
   Writer Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}
   Writer Instance Id: {048803b8-c596-44a8-9183-4dc20cb7f648}

Thanks,

JonahIJ
Level 3

Thanks Craig, but unfortunately that utility seems to be limited to Windows Server 2000 only, whilst we are running Server 2008.

Info from
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH65721&key=15047&actp=LIST

Cheers,

CraigV

...OK, if you uninstal the RAWS agent, and then reinstall it?

JonahIJ
Level 3

Just tried that as well - no such luck.  Upon trying to run a System State back up again, exact same failure.

This is clearly quite an odd problem to have!

CraigV

...any reason for keeping your DVD-ROM as X:\ on this server? What happens when you change it?

JonahIJ
Level 3

Ahh good idea.  I have now just tried it (backup of the system state only), and guess what?  Failure, new error, which states:

V-79-57344-850 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
Snapshot provider error (0xE0000352): The specified volume does not exist. Recreate the volume, and then try the job again.

At least this proves there is DEFINITELY something in the System State somewhere that wants something on "X:"!

CraigV

CraigV

Hi Jonah,

Any news?

Thanks!

Hi Jonah,

I was reading this post. It may be old, but I have very similar problem to this one and would very much like to know if you remember if this was fixed and how.

Any input from you will be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Jay