cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot backup IS because it is currently being backed up by another process

rsmccall
Level 5
I was getting the Access is Denied error message on Exchange Full backups but I have resolved that issue and am now seeing this error in the job log:  Error, unable to open \\server\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group because it is curretnly being backed up by another process.

There are no other backups running at the time this one runs, and the Exchange database maintenance runs from 12AM-4AM.  This backup started at 10PM and failed at 10:15PM.  

The particular full backup is not using legacy mode and AOFO with VSS is not enabled.  

I don't believe that our Exchange database is corrupt because if it were wouldn't we be seeing some problems?  We haven't had any emailing issues whatsoever.  

Thoughts and opinons please.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rsmccall
Level 5
I rebooted the server at close of business yesterday and pushed RAWS to the exchange server.  i then setup a full backup last night that was SUCCESSFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

rsmccall
Level 5
 The backup selections for this backup are:  
\\server\microsoft information store\first storage group\mailboxes 
\\server\microsoft information store\first storage group\public folders

rsmccall
Level 5
I found this article but it hasn't helped because the Exchange server selections for Shadow Copy Components doesn't show "User Data" under it as it does in the image.  When I expand the selections for my Exchange server and expand Shadow copy components it only lists Service State and nothing else.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/265159.htm

rsmccall
Level 5
On the Exchange server I see that the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems is installed, but I'm wondering if it should actually read as Backup Exec Remote Agent for Exchange Servers.  How do I ensure that the Exchange server has the Exchange Remote Agent installed? The licensing info shows that I have the exchange remote agent installed... 

rsmccall
Level 5
 are there any configuration steps in the exchange server RAWS that need to be set?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Not at all. You would load your agent license on your backup server, and deploy the agent either remotely (through BE) or locally (by browsing to the installation directory!).
Don't worry about what it says. All that needs to happen is that the license must be installed, the agent must be running, and the agent must be publishing to the correcty server.
Try reinstalling the agent (remove, and then push-install), and make sure you don't have any other backups that might be running. Antivirus scans are also an issue at times so make sure there are no locks from that, or scans running at the same time.

rsmccall
Level 5
no other backups were/are running at the same time, mcafee does not scan or block the backups.  

the backup only runs about 15 mins, doesn't backup anything, and then fails saying that it can't back it up while it's in use... 

rsmccall
Level 5
So I was going to schedule a NT backup of Exchange as suggested in one of the Symantec articles and upon opening the schedule I see that there are currently jobs scheduled to run.  Apparently one of the prior Admins before me had this setup as  normal backup but the backups do not run until 12AM.  Could these NT backups be holding me up even if the Backup Exec jobs run first?  

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Aha...lovely! Now at least you have your solution. It's normally the most obvious thing that we overlook! Just happened to me a couple of days ago. And so we learn =)

rsmccall
Level 5
I really am not sure if the previously set NT backup schedule is the culprit of these issues or not.  Like I said, the job is scheduled to run daily at 12AM for up to 8 hours and its a normal backup so it should reset the archive bit.  

Anyhow, I have deleted the NT backups and I then ran a Full backup of the IS as a test and it still failed after 15 minutes.  

rsmccall
Level 5
I have removed RAWS from the exchange server and now need to reboot.  I cannot reboot until later today.  Then I will reinstall RAWS and cross my fingers....

I have no idea what else to do.....

rsmccall
Level 5
I rebooted the server at close of business yesterday and pushed RAWS to the exchange server.  i then setup a full backup last night that was SUCCESSFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!