cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot backup SQL DB on virtual machine due to "zzzVirtApp000zzz" with GRT mode

Xmemy
Level 3

Dear All,

I'm recently experiencing an issue in my backup for one specific virtual machine.

Information about my infrastructure : 

Media server :

• Windows Server 2003 Enterprise
  • Backup exec 2010R3 SP1 with hotfix http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH167791

Virtual Machine:

• Windows server 2008R2
  • SQL server 2008R2
  • VMware tools installed without VSS
  • Backup exec agent installed
  • 3 partitions that are on the same datastore (no RDM)

VMware :

• version 5.1

Since last week (tuesday) my backup for all VMDK is in failed status due to this error : 

Backup- VMVCB::\\vcenter\VCGuestVm\DATACENTER NAME\vm\VMNAME
- Error. Cannot backup directory \zzzVirtApp000zzz and its subdirectories.

I saw on this technote that a hotfix is available for this issue : http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH169958

But this hotfix is already installed since a long time on my media server + agents.

Other strange thing my backup failed tuesday to thursday but successfull on friday to sunday.

If I want to restore my VM via the GRT process, I'm able to see all partition the only missing thing is the SQL content.

I read a lot of article for this issue and normally the previous hotfix should fix the issue but it's not the case for the moment. 

Anyone has an idea of what to do next ? 

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

ESX 5.1 is not supported as of yet.

Few things, which you could check is ~

- The Backup Exec account has appropriate application permissions such as sysadmin for backup/restore of SQL dBs.

- Ensure no dB is 0 KB in size nor in an offline/restoring state.

- SQL should not be clustered across VMs.

- Lastly, there shouldn't be any GPT/ Dynamic disks

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

ESX 5.1 is not supported as of yet.

Few things, which you could check is ~

- The Backup Exec account has appropriate application permissions such as sysadmin for backup/restore of SQL dBs.

- Ensure no dB is 0 KB in size nor in an offline/restoring state.

- SQL should not be clustered across VMs.

- Lastly, there shouldn't be any GPT/ Dynamic disks

Xmemy
Level 3

The Backup works for several month with ESX 5.1 (just for information)

- The trust between the media server and the windows agent is established with the local adminsitrator account (the server is not in the domain). And why the backup worked on friday to sunday ?

- I don't have any DB's (there are 3 users' DB's)

- No SQL cluster

For me the main problem is that the VMDK are not correct, when I simulate a restore, I can see GRT for a lot of files but the VM itself is marked as corrupted.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...so the backup has run successfully for months, but have you tried a restore before this? If not, and this is your first time doing a restore, then you've probably hit the issue with vSphere 5.1 not being supported. In this case, what VJware says, stands...

Thanks!