cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot backup directory \zzzVirtApp000zzz and its subdirectories

SiddR
Not applicable
Hi there, I have just read the article for this error message: Cannot backup directory \zzzVirtApp000zzz and its subdirectories - http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/347322.htm and it states that symantec know about this problem and are looking into a hot-fix patch. I have downloaded the latest hot-fix patch, and it worked the day before but the error has come back today. These are the errors i get: Backup- VMVCB::\\HPS-VCB\VCGuestVm\HPS-ESX\vm\HPS-EXCH1 - Error. Cannot backup directory \zzzVirtApp000zzz and its subdirectories. - Error. Cannot backup directory \zzzVirtApp001zzz and its subdirectories. - Error. Cannot backup directory \zzzVirtApp002zzz and its subdirectories. - Error. Cannot backup directory \zzzVirtApp003zzz and its subdirectories. Too my understanding these directories do not exist correct? Please let me know if you need any further information. Im currently using backup Exec 2010, media version 13 installed on windoes 2003 server. I have installed hotfix: 348284 Thank you so much for your help :)
6 REPLIES 6

teiva-boy
Level 6
Have you tried as the article suggests, to use a different target, something that is NTFS, or try disabling GRT?

While not ideal, they are workarounds until it's fixed one way or another.

johnbusch
Level 2

I am now having the same problem. Active Directory 2003 VMs, access denied to apparently nonexistent directory zzzVirtApp000zzz on 2 of our 3 AD VMs.

This is backing to tape but I get the same issue going to NTFS based B2D regardless of whether GRT is used. BE 2010 R2 environment.

dcviper
Not applicable

error seemed to go away after running liveupdate and installing hotfixes, ran a full and 2 incrementals succesfully, and now a day later it fails.

No changes to the job except adding another server to be backed up.

johnbusch
Level 2

I am getting the same error. 1 of 8 VM domain controllers gets this error every single time doing VMDK backups. I have changed the target to different tape arrays and B2D pools as well as deselecting every GRT selection I can find and it makes no difference.

The odd thing is that the tape still shows what looks like valid VDMK files available to restore.

ifundservices
Level 3

I am getting the sam error when backing up an exchange 2010 and a domain controller. The number of directories in the error log equals the number of exchange databases.

I tried the solution to switch of GRT - no effect.

After changing the destination directory from a NAS to local HDD on the Backup server the backup finished completly.

My problem is that this is definitly no final solution for my problem, because of the limited disk space.

Other Backups running with the same server (data backups, vm without exchange, active directory) finish without any error.

I am using Backup Exec 2010 SP1 (no LiveUpdates available) on a Windows 2008R2 64bit.

The vm I want to backup are running Windows 2008R2 64bit, too.

Are there any solution on this problme by Symantec or someone else at this time??

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is an old discussion.  You should start a new discussion so that your problem gets the attention that it deserves.