cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot backup directory \zzzVirtApp000zzz and its subdirectories

ETrosclair
Level 4

Hello

I'm having an issue with GRT backups of our Exchange 2010 SP1 Virtual Machine. Whenever I run a GRT enabled backup of this VM, it fails with the following errors. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the Volume above the error or with something else. 

Exchange is installed on Windows 2008 R2 on a VMware ESX 4.1 VM and I'm backing it up with Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP3. There's plenty of free space on all drives as well. Searching that Volume and I believe it points to the System Reserved partition of the C Drive. Any ideas as to what I can try to fix this?

Thank you!

Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'C:' on virtual machine '\\ExchangeServer'.
Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'D:' on virtual machine '\\ExchangeServer'.
Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'Volume{0dc6eb8c-941a-11df-b8e0-806e6f6e6963}' on virtual machine '\\ExchangeServer'.
V-79-57344-65247 - Error. Cannot backup directory \zzzVirtApp000zzz and its subdirectories.
Backup Exec has discovered and protected Microsoft Exchange Server data on virtual machine '\\ExchangeServer'.
Backup Exec has discovered and protected Microsoft Exchange Server data on virtual machine '\\ExchangeServe
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fedf - A failure occurred reading an object.
Final error category: Resource Errors
4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

SP3 should include the HF in the TN below...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH169958

If you're getting this issue I'd recommend opening up a support query with Symantec around this...

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As well as us finding software problems within BE (in the past) that have casues that error (so update ot latest version is a good idea) please be aware that it can also be cause by unsupported environmentaal setups of tehe VM itself,. A ssuch check for things like GPT partitions, Physical RAW disks, spanned volumes and iSCSI LUN's attached into the VM itself (this may not be a complete list)

Albino_Oscar
Level 2
Employee

Hi,

Try the following and see if that works.

1. Open the selection list under Job monitor (if a scheduled backup job)

2. Go to the Advanced tab

3. Uncheck the option " Backup files and directories following junction points"

Have a look at the following article

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22637

ETrosclair
Level 4

Thanks everyone for the help but unfortunately, none of what you all recommended helped. Looks like I'll be opening a ticket with Symantec on this. I'll post in once I get a solution.