cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot backup exchange 2007

MichaelLevine
Level 2
Hi.
I have installed a trial version of Backup Exec 2010 and been trying to backup Exchange 2007 with no success.  I initially installed backup exec with exchange agent on one server (that also had Outlook installed - so it has the mapi and cdo libraries) - and a remote agent on the exchange server.  When I didn't have the option to backup the Exchange Information Store or any mailboxes, I then removed the remote agent and tried to install the full version of backup exec with the key for exchange agent on the exchange server.  This still does not bring up the information store under the server or anywhere else in the domain.  Both servers are Windows Server Enterprise 2008 R2.  I should mention that I am running Exchange 2007 as 32-bit application (which I know is not supported by Microsoft for production use).

I must be missing something...  Can someone please poitn me in the right direction?

Thanks and regards,
Michael
5 REPLIES 5

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

To begin with you dont need full Backup exec installed on the Exchange server , You just need the Remote agent
 refer the following document
http://support.veritas.com/docs/343488

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
so follow http://support.veritas.com/docs/288777 and check for the following steps as well
1 .Download and install Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Management Tools (32-Bit) from Microsoft website
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6be38633-7248-4532-929b-76e9c677e802&displaylang=en
2. Need to install MAPI CDO on the Exchange server
3. If you are still not able to see the selection of Information store , unistall the exchange license and install it again
Check the version of mapi32.dll of the Exchange server.
Verify the version is 64-Bit version.
32-Bit version starts with the number 6.XX
64-Bit version starts with the number 1.XX
Ensure level of ESE.dll is same on Exchange 2007 server and Media Server. If you install any updates related to Exchange 2007 then ensure that Management tools on Media Server are also updated with the same update."

MichaelLevine
Level 2
Thanks for the reply.  I didn't realize that I had to manually subscribe to receive notification when there was activity on my post, so I've just received it now...

I was aware that I didn't need the full version, but I was getting frustrated with the agent not working figured- let's just see if this would help.  Which it did not.

I will go through the steps in those two posts and will advise either way if it solved my problem.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Michael

MichaelLevine
Level 2

Thanks for your suggestions.  I followed all the links there.  I've tried numerous configurations and still no luck. 

Any other ideas? 

One thing that has come to mind -- I'm not sure if it's the source of the problem -- is that I'm running the 32-bit version of Exchange 2007 in 'trial-mode'.  This is not a production server, but needs to be backed up and I need the logs flushed nonetheless.  Does the exchange agent support this version of exchange?

Thanks and regards,
Michael

pkh
   VIP    Certified
BE 2010 does not support the backup of Exchange 2007 on a 32-bit server.  See the SCL below

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/329254.pdf