cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot backup to Dell PowerVault 124T

JohnyD
Level 3
I have 8 LTO4 tapes loaded into my Dell PowerVault 124T. Seven of these are LTO4 tapes and the 8th is my cleaning tape. I have all 7 assigned to scratch media. I try to run my monthly full backup job and I get the alert:

Library Insert

Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media.

My backup job is assigned to a media set that I created called 'Full Month'. It is set to 'Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available'. The media set itself has an infinite overwrite protection (don't allow overwrite ever) because this full backup will be retained indefinitely. 

I've also tried associating a particular tape in my scratch media with the actual media set.... but with no luck.

I've run the tests and everything checks out until it looks for the actual media... which it can't seem to find. What am I doing wrong?

Update 1:
I've now created partitions which I did not know about. Of my 8 tapes I have 3 partitions. Partition 1 is my cleaning tape which is not associated with any job. Partition 2 are tapes 2-4 which will be used for my monthly backup. I have edited my job to use that particular partition for the backup job. It is still asking me to insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command. 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JohnyD
Level 3
Solved!

Wouldn't you know it... I had to go to the device tab, select my partitions, highlight the media associated with that particular partition, right-click and select 'import'.

Backups are blazing now!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

JohnyD
Level 3
Solved!

Wouldn't you know it... I had to go to the device tab, select my partitions, highlight the media associated with that particular partition, right-click and select 'import'.

Backups are blazing now!