cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot change Storage location

sa1981
Level 3

Hi, we are using BE 2012 and we setup a new NAS device to save the backups to.

To configure this within BE 2012 I went into the 'Storage' tab, clicked on 'Configure Storage' and added a 'disk based storage' and pointed to the storage share via network share...

Note that it finds the capacity information but says 'Not enough statistical info' under Storage Trending.  I also occasionally see a green PLAY type button next to the name of it...not sure what that is.

Problem is when I go back to the 'Backup and Restore' tab, click on a server and edit the backup task to change the storage location to the new NAS device (which I do see in the list)....it does accept it but when I click on the server again, it says "Any disk storage".  

This happened when I tried it for other servers as well.  Odd thing is when I check the timestamp of the location on the NAS device I do see recent timestamps so it may be doing the backups there but I am not sure.

How do I fix this?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

lmosla
Level 6

verify the Nas is a supported device  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175582

sa1981
Level 3

I am using a Synology DS1813+ and I do see it in the list...although why should it matter? Shouldn't the software simply see it as a destination drive?

And since that doesn't seem to be the issue what else could it be?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

As per the link below, your NAS can do iSCSI...why not invoke this by carving out LUNs, invoke iSCSI on the media server, and present these LUNs to it. This is going to give you a persistent connection to the NAS, and get around a number of authentication issues...

http://www.synology.com/en-us/products/overview/DS1813+

I did something similar on Iomega NAS units and it worked out very well!

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-iscsi-backup-your-environment-nas-backup-exec

Thanks!

lmosla
Level 6

When you added the new storage location instead of browsing select Network Share and add the UNC path?

also do you have iscsi enabled?  see CraigV's blog here https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-iscsi-backup-your-environment-nas-backup-exec

sa1981
Level 3

Hi,

Why would I create LUNs when \\destination should work though?

Why do I need iscsi enabled?

CraigV

...it makes life simpler. You'll find you can run into authentication issues, and network shares don't tend to be the most stable.

iSCSI is a persistent connection. Read my article and decide for yourself if you want to proceed with it.

Thanks!

sa1981
Level 3

With iscsi I will need to physicall connect the NAS to the backup server right?

And while that may be a good option how do I solve the problem that I stated above?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
With iSCSI, the connection from the NAS to the media server is a logical one. Search the Net for a fuller explanation of the iSCSI technology

CraigV

No...you can connect the NAS to the network switch/es you have if you want to provision storage for other servers. Connecting the NAS directly to the media server means that you can only access the NAS from that server.

The only way you're going to see if you get backups through is to look for the creation of the *.bkf files on the B2D you created.

I suggested iSCSI (if you read my article it explains why I tested this, and then put it into my production environments) because all I got were disconnects and authentication errors (even after putting the NAS onto the domain). It is worth you testing the setup to see if it works, which then allows you to make a better decision.

Thanks!

sa1981
Level 3

All, thanks again for your help...but these are workarounds, not FIXES for something that should work.  Please assist me with my original question.

CraigV

...if you aren't able to consider what's been presented to you, then I'd recommend opening a case with Symantec to investigate your issue.

Thanks!

CraigV

...because if it has been tested, then it is supported. If it hasn't been tested, then Symantec won't guarantee that BE will work with it.

Download B2Dtest.exe to ensure that the NAS is supported for B2D functions.

Thanks!