Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect MMS to CASO

mickelingon
Level 5
Partner
Hi
I have two BE 2010 installations on separate win 2008 Standard R2 servers.
The first one is a CASO installation with an SQL 2005 express db (the one installed with BE)
I have configured the SQL server for remote connections via Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections. Everything looks fine.
But when I try to install the MMS option it cannot connect to the SQL instance on the CASO. I get the error saying "verify that the SQL is configured for remote connections and that the account you are trying to connect with is a local admin on the SQL server". I have checked this and this cannot be the problem.
does anyone know what to look for?
Mike
3 REPLIES 3

mickelingon
Level 5
Partner
I forgot to say that there are no client FW activated and the servers has been restarted after SQL configurations.
//Mike

mickelingon
Level 5
Partner
Hi

Here is an update on the problem so far.
The customer has 2 servers in two different locations.
The servers are win 2008 standard R2. They are on different sub nets.
There are a FW between them but this is allowing everyting.
I have installed a CASO server in one location and on media server in the other.
I then tried to install the media server as a managed media server by klicking on tools->install managed media server (or something like that) It went fine. Until I restarted the services.
They will not start and the  eventviewer is logging  the error:
Adamm Database Event: Open Database Connection Failed!
Error = ERROR_DATABASE_DOES_NOT_EXIST
Server = "servername"
Active Node = ""
Instance = "BkupExec"
Database = "BEDB"
Connection String = "DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=servername\BkupExec;DATABASE=BEDB;App=BEWS PVL"
The Backup Exec Device and Media Service service could not connect to the database specified. Make sure that the specified database is running, and then try starting the service again.
I’ve checked out the KB articles regarding this and can’t get it to work.
I have configured the SQL to use static port 1433 and I can remotely connect to it by Telnet and SQL server management studio express.
What is BE using to connect to the CASO? Can you set any connection string to force it to use 1433?

regards

Mike

mickelingon
Level 5
Partner
I have had two Symantec technicians to look at this and no one of them had a clue of what they were doing. I had already checked everything they came up with. Really sad.
Anyone else want to take a shot at this?

Mike