cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to NAS...

Leo2011
Level 4

I have a NAS that I am attempting to backup its contents.

However, I am receiving the following errors:

V-79-57344-3844 - The media server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent on machine GRAPHICS-NAS.

The media server will use the local agent to try to complete the operation.

WARNING: Media servers cannot completely protect remote Windows-based servers or workstations unless the Backup Exec Remote Agent is installed and running on each remote Windows-based server or workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the Remote Agent is not running while backing up remote Windows-based computers.

When I attempt to install the agent from the Media Center, I receive the following error:

Error connecting to the remote computer.  Ensure that the computer is available, has WMI enabled, and is not blocked by a firewall. 1603

I cannot connect to the resources but some how Backup Exec is not able to see it.  How do I get Backup Exec to recognize the device? 

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

"WARNING: Media servers cannot completely protect remote Windows-based servers or workstations unless the Backup Exec Remote Agent is installed and running on each remote Windows-based server or workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the Remote Agent is not running while backing up remote Windows-based computers."

Does not mean that BackupExec cannot backup data on the NAS, it is more of  generic warning.  If the remote machine is a Windows box, and you get this warning, you cannot backup System State, and thus cannot "completely protect" the server

As long as you have a RAWS  installed on the media server you should be able to  back up data by creating a User Defined Share using either IP\Share or UNC\Share

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

1. If possible add NAS to same domain.

2. Be Console -network -logon accounts -System logon account\default logon account

-this account needs to be added as administrator in NAS or the share you want to backup.

3. Atleast 1 remote agent license needs to be installed on media server.

4. Try adding NAS to user defined selections using its IP address

5. Make sure you can access from media server, start -run.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Enable the selection of user shares from Tools - Options & try to select the NAS resource as an user defined share...do ensure that you atleast one RAWS license installed for the same..

EDIT****

1: Under the Backup Exec Graphical User Interface (GUI) - Tools - Options - Preferences, uncheck the checkbox "Display progress indicators for backup jobs. This requires additional time to pre-scan devices."

2: have a look at KB - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87855