cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot create b2d storage Backup Exec 2012

zhof
Level 2

Hi everyone, I need some help!

I have used the same storage for a year now. Every month I have to change my password in Active Directory (thanks HIPAA!), then update the credentials in Backup Exec and everything would work fine with no issues.  However, two days ago I changed my password and updated it in Backup Exec and checked my credentials to the C:\ and E:\ Drives (the drives I want to backup) and they came back fine with no permission issues.  I then went into the Storage tab and my storage is reading 'Offline' so I click the 'Offline' check box to bring the drive back up and after a few seconds, I get this pop-up:

Error1_1.jpg

Which, when following the bread crumbs to the Event Viewer I find....

Error2.jpg

The destination directory is a QNAP NAS with correct permissions (triple checked), has 40% free space, accessable to multiple systems in this particular subnet and VPN subnets, and has not been renamed. 

My solution was to just create a new storage on a different NAS using the same permissions to check if it was the NAS or Backup Exec.

I did the following Steps to achieve this:

1. Opened Backup Exec
  2. Clicked on Storage Tab
  3. Clicked on Configure Storage
  4. Selected Disk-based storage (since it is backing up to a NAS via a UNC path)
  5. Selected Disk Storage
  6. Gave it a name
  7. Selected Network share with a value of \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\location\backup 

And I receive this screen which gets stuck for ~2 minutes:

Error3.jpg

After the ~2 minutes is up, Receive:

Error4.jpg

After ~5 minutes of this, when I finally get the option to click finish, I receive:

Error5_0.jpg

When I click Ok, I can hit Back Finish or Cancel. Hitting Finish takes me back to the above message. 

I can ping the network using both the FQDN and the UNC of the share so I dont believe it's a DNS issue because it resolves just fine. 

And here's the kicker. I have 2 servers with BEXEC on it, both of which are getting the exact same errors. I cannot use any shared network drive regardless of location (and yes, the permissions were changed to allow the designated user access).

I am sorry for the long write-up, but I am absolutely stumped and any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

zhof
Level 2

I ran out of time tinkering with this, so I uninstalled Backup Exec, then reinstalled it.  And the problem is no longer occuring. Hopefully the next password change won't come with these issues.

Thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If the NAS is not part of AD, you need to make the BESA a local admin with full read and write permission to the entire disk.  Did you update this when you change the password?

zhof
Level 2

The NAS is part of the AD.  The password on the NAS for the user account was updated immediately.  Confirmed that the username and password for the NAS and Backup Exec are correct. It's not a permissions issue as far as I can tell because that's the first thing I thought as well.  The issue is Backup Exec can't add the storage, but it doesn't state it's because of a security / permissions issue.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you tried with just one level, i.e. \\server\share\?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try running the test tool - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH71829

If it passes this tool, would you enable debugging and retry to create the disk storage. Post/pm the sgmon debug once done.

zhof
Level 2

I ran out of time tinkering with this, so I uninstalled Backup Exec, then reinstalled it.  And the problem is no longer occuring. Hopefully the next password change won't come with these issues.

Thank you for your help.