Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot delete backup job created by policy

Juergen_Vollmar
Level 3
Hi,

I have a problem at a customers site:
There is one backup job left created by a policy which is no longer existent.
When we try to delete that job, the error says (translated from german ...):
"Can't delete a job created by a policy, you must delete the job by removing policy created jobs from the policy context menu"
As there is no more policy, we have no way to delete the job.

If we create a policy with the same name and settings as before, we can create new jobs for it (it was a backup2disk->duplicate policy): We then get two more jobs based on the policy, which are in total three: two correct ones and the orphanded one.
When deleting the jobs created by the policy, only the two newly created ones are delete, the orphaned one stays in the job list.

This problem was discussed before in Message ID 4427098, the suggestion there was to try to repair the database (http://support.veritas.com/docs/265180) which didn't help in our case.

In Message ID 4437657 another suggestion was, to initialize the database and start from scratch (http://support.veritas.com/docs/254014).
I think the author of that one must be kidding, as you can't throw away all the data (Selection lists, policies ..) in a productional encironment.

Is there any other satisfying solution available from Symantec yet (e.g. a script, which checks the database for orphaned policy-based jobs and deletes them)?

Is that behaviour recorded as a bug in BackupExec yet, as many users seem to have that problem?

Thanks
Juergen
5 REPLIES 5

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

If we have understood your issue correctly you have done the following:
1. created a policy
2. create templates in this policy
3. now you want to delete the template that you have created and there you have the error, as you had deleted the policy?

Please elaborate if our comprehension is incorrect.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Juergen_Vollmar
Level 3
Hello,

correct, the policy was deleted (which shouldn't be possible) while there were still jobs existing created by this policy.
So now my customer can't remove the jobs any more, as the policy doesn't exist any more.

Regards
Juergen

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

While deleting the policy were there any errors?

Also please try performing a repair installation.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Sandy_Williamso
Level 3
I work with someone who knows SQL admin very well...I don't know how he did it but he was able to get into the SQL backend and deleted the jobs from the tables bejobs and jobs

That fixed it for me..!

Juergen_Vollmar
Level 3
Hello,

just to update this thread and as some customers are still calling me with the same problem:

Now there is a knowledgebase article regarding this problem:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/284077

You will have to contact symantec support, make a copy of your database-file, ZIP it and send it to symantec support via Mail (<10MB) or FTP Upload.
They remove the orphaned backup jobs and send the database back to you. (Of course you mustn't run BackupExec while they are fixing your DB as all DB changes are trashed when restoring the fixed DB file)

Regards Juergen