cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot push Managed Server on Backup Exec 15

EGarciaM
Level 3

I'm testing Backup Exec 15 Trial Version (well, just trying because I've been not able to install a managed server).

My "intended" installation is as follows:

• 1 CASO Server .
  • 2 Managed Servers.

My steps so far:

• Installation of a Windows 2012 R2 Std (SRVCASO) + Installation of Backup Exec 15 selecting CASO option.
  • Installation of another Windows 2012 R2 Std (SRVManaged1) + Intent of pushing Backup Exec 15 with Managed Server option.selected from SRVCASO to SRVManaged1. It fails always with the same error: "The user name and/or password supplied for the Remote Service Account is not valid. Right click on the server and choose Fix Error ..."
  • I've also tried to install locally onto SRVManaged1 and point it to SRVCASO as the CASO Server. The error seems a little more "explanatory" as it indicates that the user has not administrative privileges to access SRVCASO. But I don't think that's the case...

My "settings":

• I'm using a Domain Administrator that obviously is member of Local Admins on both servers (admBackup).
  • Firewalls are disabled on both servers (just for testing purposes).
  • FP3 is installed on SRVCASO.

My "research":

• I can access \\SRVCASO\c$ from SRVManaged1 and \\SRVManaged1\c$ from SRVCASO (logged on with admBackup on both servers) without credentials request so I understand there are no issues with the account used.
  • There is not any entry on Event Viewer neither on SRVCASO nor on SRVManaged1.

Any ideas to point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Emilio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

EGarciaM
Level 3

Unbelievable!

I got it working!

I was almost giving up and I tried one last thing (out of hope because it has no sense at all): I've checked dozens of times that I met all the criteria to have it working, but it refused to. What have I done? I've explicitly included BESA into the local administrators group of the CASO server. Yes, I know that's a basic requirement, but I thought that having domain admins group (of which BESA is member) into this group should suffice. It turns out that my assumptions were wrong. Not that I find any sense but at least I have it ready for testing.

Thanks to everybody who tried to help. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Have you checked:

1. DNS to make sure you can resolve IP-name and vice versa from the CASO and MMS servers?

2. On any firewalls running, make sure port 10000 is open for the RAWS agent to work correctly.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Make sure the BESA has the rights according to this document http://www.veritas.com/docs/000028683

EGarciaM
Level 3

First of all, thank you for your time.

@CraigV:

1. If I can access \\SRVCASO\c$ from SRVManaged1 and \\SRVManaged1\c$ from SRVCASO I think it proves DNS is not an issue.
  2. Firewalls are disabled on both servers (just for testing purposes) and I forgot to mention that there's no firewall between both servers (they're on the same LAN segment)

@pkh:

Like I said BESA is a domain admin. I've added it to Backup Operator group. I've checked all the user rights assignments and the only one missing was "Create a token object". I've added it and restarted both servers. Result: no changes. Same error.

Any other idea?

Thanks again.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
See this document http://www.veritas.com/docs/000008077

EGarciaM
Level 3

I've checked the 5 causes:

[A] Password is ok. Verified 100%.

[B] & [C] User has this right (Logon as batch job) because Domain Admins have it and Deny Logon as Batch is granted to nobody nor Deny Logon as a service. Same as before: Create a token object was not granted int the Default Domain Controllers Policy and now is.

[D] It's a member od Domain Admins that are members of Local Admins.

I've to create another account, but I did it yesterday (without granting the only right missing, create a token object) and the outcome was the same.

[E] RAWS is running on the CASO Server (the only one installed at the moment).

Just for clarification, the user being used is the same that I'm using in our actual setup that's been running for years with backup exec 2010 r3. So, I don't think it's a permission issue... But may be...

Thanks

EGarciaM
Level 3

Any more ideas?

EGarciaM
Level 3

Nobody?

I'm still stuck at this point. No changes...

Any help would be appreciated.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you do a local install instead of a push does thae local installation also block you making it into a Managed Server?

EGarciaM
Level 3

Yes. Same behaviour...

.backupexec15error.PNG

EGarciaM
Level 3

I've also installed it locally as an independent server and then tried to change it to a managed server as per https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000075693. Same result. No way of getting a managed server.

EGarciaM
Level 3

Unbelievable!

I got it working!

I was almost giving up and I tried one last thing (out of hope because it has no sense at all): I've checked dozens of times that I met all the criteria to have it working, but it refused to. What have I done? I've explicitly included BESA into the local administrators group of the CASO server. Yes, I know that's a basic requirement, but I thought that having domain admins group (of which BESA is member) into this group should suffice. It turns out that my assumptions were wrong. Not that I find any sense but at least I have it ready for testing.

Thanks to everybody who tried to help.