cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot restore in Backup Exec versions 2010, 14 or 16

jrg1
Level 2

I have been sorely vexed by two problems. One is a known issue in Backup Exec, and none of the solutions presented in previous articles online have worked. It is the error message 0xe000900, which says that "The requested media is not listed in the media inces and could not be mounted." This occurs when I try to create a catalogue of a tape that was backed up before the server I'm trying to restore it to was rebuilt. This has happened with three different versions of Backup Exec: 2010, 14 and 16. As mentioend, I have tried all the suggestions made online: I have killed the Backup Exec services and renamed the Catalog and Job folders, I have unchecked the box marked "Request all media in the sequence for catalog operations", I have deleted old jobs--nothing works. The closest I've come to success has been in version 2010, in which I do receive a failure message, but then find that a catalog has been created. However, when I try to restore it, BE finds the device but then says "The resource could not be restored because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent. Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent s installed and running on the target computer." The target computer is the local one, and the Remote Agent is in fact installed andd running on it. I find it exteremely frustrating that while the program is trying to build the catalog, I can see the data being gone through, file by file, with the names being displayed one after another, and yet I can't bring it back.

I've also tried the SGMON capture program and the log it creates, but the article I read on the subject (https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000031552) does not clearly explain how to utilize the information it generates to create a good catalog and ensure a successful restore. Once we find the "Media =" line in the log, how do we turn it to good use? "Make it available", as the article says, tells us nothing.

I have zipped the SGMon error and catalog and restore failure logs and attached them to this post. I would be ineffably grateful to anybody who can help me get our data back onto the server. BTW, the version I have now is 2010, but I could try either of the other two.

1 REPLY 1

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited