cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot set 0 Append time in BE 2015...?

Backupz
Level 4

When creating a Meda set In Backup Exec 2010 R3, I am able set my append to 0 hours. 

However, in BE 2015 it will not let me set 0 Hours!!!  The lowest number I can put is 1 Hours.  Why is this?!?! 

I want to create a Media set that does not allow any data to append.  Is there a way I can configure this?  Please help.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As previously advised, for AP = 1 hour, once an hour has passed since the tape was overwritten, the tape would not be appendable.  As I said earlier, most proper backup jobs would take longer than 1 hour so AP = 1 hour should not present a problem.  Also, you can set your job to overwrite.

For me, I never set AP = 0 even when I am using BE 2010 or earlier.  I can't quite recall the details, but I did run into some problems with AP = 0.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. The minimum as you have found out is 1 hour. This minimum period should expire soon enough. A proper backup job should last more than 1 hour If you don't want to append, then set your jobs to overwrite

Backupz
Level 4

Well for instance, I am running a full backup at the end  of my week.

I have an appropiate overwrite protection period, however I do not want anything to append to the tape.

Therefore, what should I do?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

The append period starts when the first backup job is written to this media.

So, if your full backup takes more than an hour, then the tape is not appendable as soon as the job is finished.

If your full backup finishes in less than an hour, then you need to make sure that you do not have any jobs scheduled to the same media set scheduled to start in the same hour as the full.

Yes, it seems to be a loss in functionality from older versions, probably due to an oversight, but I see easy ways to work around this.

Feel free to also post it as an idea for improvment at https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/backup-and-recovery/ideas

lmosla
Level 6

this KM might be helpful http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO99462

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As previously advised, for AP = 1 hour, once an hour has passed since the tape was overwritten, the tape would not be appendable.  As I said earlier, most proper backup jobs would take longer than 1 hour so AP = 1 hour should not present a problem.  Also, you can set your job to overwrite.

For me, I never set AP = 0 even when I am using BE 2010 or earlier.  I can't quite recall the details, but I did run into some problems with AP = 0.

Backupz
Level 4

Thanks everyone.