Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot uninstall Backup Exec 2010 R2

FSL
Level 3
Partner

Afternoon all,

I have an issue with a customer which is driving me demented. They have BE 2010 R2 SBS edition running on a Windows SBS 2008 server; it generally runs OK, but various issues (LiveUpdate problems, etc.) have made me decide that an upgrade to 2010 R3 is in order. However, the upgrade failed - it gave me the message that LiveUpdate was active on the software. Clearly this is not the case, as LiveUpdate doesn't even recognise BE on that server (I've tried the usual tricks to register BE with LU, but without success).

So, I thought I'd go for a complete uninstall in Control Panel, followed by a new install of R3. However, this fails too - any attempt to uninstall or change the installation gives me the message that the software may already have been uninstalled.

Is there a manual uninstall procedure for Backup Exec 2010? I've looked but can't find anything. All assistance and suggestions gratefully received!

9 REPLIES 9

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

FSL,

You could try running a repair install or reinstalling the BE2010R2 version. (This will require the install media or ISO image for BE 2010R2).

First confirm there is still a valid System Logon Account and it is a Domain Admin and has full administrative rights. Also make sure the account you’re logged into the system with also is a Domain Admin and has full administrator rights.

If successful, then attempt the uninstallation once more from the control panel and “add/remove programs”.

If you are unable to run a repair install, fresh installation, or still cannot successfully uninstall Backup Exec, I would strongly recommend you open up a support case so that one of our agents can assist you with a manual removal, if that is determined what is needed.

FSL
Level 3
Partner

Thanks for that - I'll see if I can put my hand on a 2010 R2 disk (is the mage file available from Symantec?). Not sure if I can open a support case, as my customer doesn't have a support contract with Symantec as far as I'm aware.

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

FSL,

If you run a repair install your client may still have the media image on their system? You will need to know the exact path location to browse to. Or try going to this link: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH66724

Follow the link for the BE2010R3 install. It will require a login for the Symantec FileConnect site. Let me know if this helps.

Steve_4
Level 4

Hi FSL,

I have seen this issue before.

First (Even though you believe it is not recognised)) Just try checking through all services and stop anything related to backup exec or setup.exe or Liveupdate

Then copy the Data and catalogs folders to another location as a failsafe
*These are usually located in Drive:/Symantec/Backup exec*

Does uninstall work now? Does liveupdate work now?

Restart, try uninstall then liveupdate again

Good luck

Steve

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Here are the direct download links for R2 & R3 -

2010 R3  - http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

2010 R2 - http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.4164_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

FSL
Level 3
Partner

Thanks very much for that - unfortunately, the 2010R2 link downloads a 32-bit version and the server is 64-bit. Is there an alternative link to a 64-bit version?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If I recall, BE 2010 onwards, there is a single download for both 32-bit & 64-bit.

Do you receive any error when using this installer ?

FSL
Level 3
Partner

It runs OK, then when i try a repair installation it prompts me for the 64-bit media. I'll have another go and see if it's somewhere findable on the DVD...

FSL
Level 3
Partner

OK, tried again and just pointed it straight at the DVD drive when prompted - presumably the application was lookng elsewhere for media. It fails on the repair at the SQL Express stage and it's now failed to uninstall once as well. I'll try again with different options and see where it gets me...