cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannto restore Exchange 2003 mail items with Backup Exec 12.5

Michael_Cornn
Not applicable

I'm doing test restores of mail messages on our Exchange server, and they're failing. Here's our set...

All servers running Windows Server 2003 32-bit with Service Pack 2

Backup Exec 12.5 with Exchange Option installed. Currently running on 60-day demo license

---Using three backup-to-disk folders pointing to 3 NTFS volumes on the backup server.

Exchange server 2003 with Service Pack 2.

We back up our Exchange servers as part of a policy. On the Exchange options, I enabled Granular Recovery Technology. The account the Backup Exec used to perform the backup is an administrator on both the Backup Exec system and Exchange system. I verified that our GPO gives the account all the security rights listed in the Backup Exec Administrator's Guide. The full backup completed with no errors.

I deleted a file off the C drive and restored it from the backup listed above. The restore completed with no errors.

I deleted several messages out of a mailbox on the server's information store and tried to restore it. The restore failed with the error: Final error: 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource.  Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again.

This is a common error, and there is a lot of information about it on the web. The error can be caused by permissions or other problems with the account that Backup Exec uses. I compared the permissions that our account had to the permissions listed in the Backup Exec Administrator's Guide, and they looked the same. Just to be sure, I performed the same restore with my own administrative account. This account has admin rights over the entire Exchange organization. The restore still failed.

Another cause of the error is if the resource in question no longer exists. For example, if you back up ServerA and rename it to ServerB, a restore to ServerA will fail because Backup Exec can't "attach" to ServerA. I verified that Backup Exec can attach to my server by restoring a file on the server's C drive. Restoration of individual files works fine. Restoration of Exchange items fails with the error listed above.

I thought I had made a mistake when creating the backup policy, so I made a one-time full backup of the Exchange server. I repeated the steps above on that backup and got the same results. Is there something I'm missing here?

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Michael,

Check this link for an article I wrote a few months back on how to restore Exchange:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

I've used this successfully on a number of occasions to restore individual items, and entire folders. Works like a charm!

Laters!

sam_tech
Level 3
Accredited Certified
Hi,

Please check this KB Artcle

Restore job fails while restoring a Mailbox -V-79-57344-33932 - 0xe000848c - Unable to attach to a resource. Make sure that all selected resources exist and are online, and then try again. \\Server name\Microsoft Information Store\Storage group name Unable to attach to \\Server name\Microsoft Information store\storage group name

http://support.veritas.com/docs/243328

Make sure that the Account that you are using for the restoration Does have an Active mailbox.

Follow the steps mentioned in the Above technote and retry the restore.

If you find this is a solution, please mark it as such.