cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant uninstall "Veritas Device Driver" Error 1316. A network error occured

Dean_de_Causs1
Level 2
I had Veritas BE installed on this computer when I was employed by a company with a valid license, when I left MOST Veritas products were removed, except for the drivers.

I have moved on and I am trying to clean up the computer and remove all instances of Veritas BE.

Through "add/remove programs" the unistaller does not work, I get the following message:

"Error1316.A netowrk error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:WINDOWS\Installer\VERITAS Device Driver Install.msi"

Can anyone tell me how to delete this manually, or a work around?

Thanks

Dean
7 REPLIES 7

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please refer the following technote:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/243636.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Dean_de_Causs1
Level 2
Thank You for your response.

The file "Tapeinst.exe" does not exist on my system!

The "Unistall" for Veritas Tape Devices exists in "Add/remove prgrams", however when it runs there are NO files for it to access, becuase the directory is no longer there, becuase when VeritasBE was removed it did not do a compete uninstall.

I think all I need to do is remove the uninstaller from the uninstall directory, but i do not know how to find it?

Can the Veritas Device Drivers be removed manully?

Thanks

Dean

Joshua_Small_2
Level 4
Hi Dean

I'm really going out on a limb, but what you could try is:

1. Use the Windows Installer Clean-up utility to remove the Veritas Tape Devices entry from your MSI database. Don't have a link handy but this is an MS tool and easy to fnid.
2. Reinstall the Veritas Tape Device Driver. Since you have removed it from the MSI database, it will see itself as doing a fresh install
3. Uninstall the Veritas Tape Driver from Add/Remove programs just as you have been trying.

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Were you able to uninstall the Veritas drivers with MSI Cleanup?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Dean_de_Causs1
Level 2
YES "Veritas tape devices" is now gone from "add/remove programs" - The link to the instlaler cleanup utility is below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

My last question is do you think it is ALL gone or are there remnants of the Veritas tape drivers still present? If so what do you recommend to do to get rid of them?

Thanks

Dean

Joshua_Small_2
Level 4
Hi Dean,

The first answer is, "possibly not", but hte second is, "how much do you care?"

The Installer Cleanup Utility simply convinces the program it's not installed, whether or not it still is. It doesn't actually remove any files. Which is why in some cases, you could go now and reinstall the product (to get a working install) and then uninstall it again (which presumably worked this time).

So long as the product itself uninstalled and all your have left is possibly a few drivers., what you actually have is a bunch of .sys files in your drivers folder which could later be used to install a new tape drive, should you add one.

If you add a tape drive, it will still use the OEM or MS driver by default, so you're not actually doing anything.

The only way that the removed Veritas Device Drivers are still present on your system is if you still have a tape drive, and when you view its properties in Device Manager its driver manufacturer is listed as "Veritas".

If you have this situation, all you really need to do is an "upgrade driver" and then manually install the non-veritas driver.

Otherwise, I suspect you'll be looking at a "more effort than it's worth" situation, where you get a list of 1000 dormant driver files not doing anything, and manually remove them to gain 5MB of drive space.

Dean_de_Causs1
Level 2
thank you this issue is resolved.