cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capacity Edition Lite and Multiple Media Servers

LongwoodEng
Level 3

Hello,

Could someone help me clarify the situation with Media Servers within Capacity Lite Edition?

We currently have two file servers (one of which is SBS 2008) and two copies of Backup Exec (v2010 R3 and v2014). I wanted to upgrade both licenses and was considering a Capacity Lite Edition to cover BOTH Servers.

Do I understand correctly that we would receive a SINGLE License to install the BE Services onto ONE of the Servers, which would then backup the other server via an Agent?

Ideally, I would prefer to have a copy of Backup Exec on each server, as I have Tape Drives installed on each.

Many thanks in advance, Kind Regards, Stephen.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Capacity Lite is sold in 1 TB increments and it is I think possible to choose to buy 3TB and put 2TB on 1 server and 1TB on another. As far as I know if you go to the licensing portal having bought a multi-TB license you can use it to generate a split set of licenses which you can then download the slf files to install on each server. Our customer care teams can perhaps advise better on the use of the web portal but you would have to phone them to talk to them as they do not monitor the forums. To phone them ring the support phone number for your region and just stay on the line instead of choosing one of the offered choices.

Of course you could just buy a 2TB Lite license and a 1TB Lite license and achieve the same thing (although there are discounts available for multiple TB license counts)

Note: You will have to split by whole TB you can't do fractional splits.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Capacity Lite is sold in 1 TB increments and it is I think possible to choose to buy 3TB and put 2TB on 1 server and 1TB on another. As far as I know if you go to the licensing portal having bought a multi-TB license you can use it to generate a split set of licenses which you can then download the slf files to install on each server. Our customer care teams can perhaps advise better on the use of the web portal but you would have to phone them to talk to them as they do not monitor the forums. To phone them ring the support phone number for your region and just stay on the line instead of choosing one of the offered choices.

Of course you could just buy a 2TB Lite license and a 1TB Lite license and achieve the same thing (although there are discounts available for multiple TB license counts)

Note: You will have to split by whole TB you can't do fractional splits.

LongwoodEng
Level 3

Colin,

That all seems very clear. I hadn't appreciated that it was possible to "allocate" 1TB chunks of the overall license to individual media servers. A 2TB + 1TB split would be ideal for our current  / future requirements.

Many thanks, Stephen