cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Failed

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi Team,

I taken some files in backup before 2 months. Now i'm going to restore the data. Some files are not showing in catalog. I moved the media to retire and deleted the tape, then i ran the catalog but it's failed. i tied 3 times.

The error is   "The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation. Final error category: Backup Media Errors".

We are using BE 12.5.

How to we recover the data from tape. Kindly help me us on...

Rgds,

vicky

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

First of all, if the files does not show in the catalog, then they are not present in the backup set.  Re-cataloging the tape would not help.

Make sure that you uncheck 

1) request media in sequence, and

2) use storage-based catalog

before you run your catalog job.  You would need to inventory your tapes first.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

First of all, if the files does not show in the catalog, then they are not present in the backup set.  Re-cataloging the tape would not help.

Make sure that you uncheck 

1) request media in sequence, and

2) use storage-based catalog

before you run your catalog job.  You would need to inventory your tapes first.

Nitin_P
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi vigneshwaran , 

To add more  , for time being change the catalog location. This will help us to isolate the issue.

Please follow :

1 . Stop BE services and rename current catalog folder to ' catalogs.old '. 

Location : X:\program files \ symantec\ backup exec \ catalog , X is the drive where Backup exec is installed. 

2 . Restart BE services , this would create new ' catalogs' folder again.

3. Now , inventory the desired tapes and catalog them. Now , all the catalogs those are there in new folder will be from the desired tape only.

This will help us to understand if its the backup set issue or ' old catalogs ' are corrupted.

vigneshwaran
Level 6

Hi Nitin,

If i change the catalog location it will affect other tapes?

Temporarly i changed the catalog location and run the catalog media after job completed. I try to restore the data from data. Once restore completed or failed. Then i rollback catalog location it will work or not?

- vicky

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you create a new catalog directory, you would not be able to see the catalogs in the old catalog directory.  You would need to revert back to this directory after your test is complete.

Nitin_P
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Thats right Vicky, As pkh said , we will not be able to access old catalogs but we can get it back by changing location.

Also on the other hand , if catalogs in new directory gives you the restored data , it means that there is a corruption in old catalogs and we need to work on that then.

Please update the status of this test ( restore from new catalog folder )  and we will move further from there.