cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Multiple Media With One Job

AlphaTwin
Level 2

Hello All,

I recently had to move my Backup Exec 2010 R3 install to a Windows 2008 r2 server. One of the jobs that I run is an offsite Disaster Recover B2D, where I keep backups for a year. I did a successful inventory of the B2D folder. Next I need to Catalog it. My problem is I have 1500 media files in that folder. If I catalog one it works great, if I hightlight several and try to catalog them it makes a job for each file. Is there a way to catalog all of them at once under a single job?

Thanks

Eric

5 REPLIES 5

Steven_Moran
Level 4
Accredited Certified

do you still have the catalog files for the disk media on the old server?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should right-click on the disk storage and select catalog.  This will catalog everything in the disk storage.

AlphaTwin
Level 2

Thanks for the help,

pkh - There is no option to catalog an entire folder, you can "Inventory" an entire folder at once, but not catalog, at least not by right clicking on it. The only right click function for Catalog is by clicking the media label in the right pane. I can select multiple Media files and right click them but it makes an individual catalog job for each label. In this folder I have 1500 media labels, I have to confirm the job 1500 times (I know this because I had to cancel each one when I tried to do it that way.) It takes about 10 minutes to run each Catalog job, that will take about 250 hours to complete. That's a non-starter.

Steven - I do indeed, however I also have a new set of Catalog files on the new server because I've already been running backups with it. Is there a way to integrate them.

Am I the only one that finds it crazy that the program doesn't just go "hey look, those are BE files in that folder that was just added, perhaps they should be made available." Sorry, little snark, couldn't help myself.

Thanks

Eric

AlphaTwin
Level 2

The silence is making me nervious,

As an added, even my individual catalogs almost always fail, with the usual error everybody complains about when they try to catalog old media.

Job ended: Friday, September 12, 2014 at 3:02:24 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0000900 - The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation.
Final error category: Backup Media Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-2304

I've taken the check out of "Request all media in the sequence for catalog operations" > retired > deleted >inventoried, ending with the same error each time.

Any help would be great

Eric

AlphaTwin
Level 2

Really? Nothing?

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks Guys
Eric