cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Question

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Hi, I needed to restore a file from a multi-tape set, two tapes to be exact, off which I did not have the catalog anymore. When trying to catalog the tapes I noticed the byte count remained zero and I got the error "0xa00084fa - One or more pieces of media in the media family being cataloged has not been inventoried.
No objects on these media may be cataloged." I resolved this problem as per http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/270251.htm and re-cataloged the tapes. I still got the same error message as above and an additional error "The media for sequence number 3 in this media family has not been inventoried. No sets on this media may be cataloged." but I was able to restore the file in question.

Is it normal to recieve such an error ? Does BE not know how many tapes there are in a tape-set and therefore gives the extra error ? (it does say sequence number 3 and I only have 2 tapes in the tape-set)

PS I use storage based catalogs and it only took 29 minutes to catalog the 375GBytes that are on the tapes. I've seen people having problems cataloging this way, thought you like to know. BE9.1 (without any SP) on W2k3 (no SP)

Regards
A van der Boom
7 REPLIES 7

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Can you also check from the backup job log ? (how many tapes there are in a tape-set)

See this Technote
http://support.veritas.com/docs/280822

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Both the job log and the properties of the media set tells that there are two tapes in this particular tape-set

Regards
A van der Boom

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Hello,

What alert you are getting during the catalog?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Job completion status:
Job ended: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 11:12:21 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xa00084fa - One or more pieces of media in the media family being cataloged has not been inventoried.
No objects on these media may be cataloged.

Final error category: Resource Errors

Errors:
The media for sequence number 3 in this media family has not been inventoried.
No sets on this media may be cataloged.

Although it gave the above mentioned errors I was able to restore the file I wanted.

Regards
A van der Boom

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Did you try renaming the catalog folder?

Also do you get this error but the restore is successful?

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Yes, I did rename the catalog folder as per http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/270251.htm and the restore was successful.

Regards
A van der Boom

Shraddha_Dhaval
Level 6
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the update.

Thanks.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ?assumed answered? and would be moved to ?answered questions? pool.