cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog enhancements for Media Families

mbtgeek
Not applicable

Currently, when backing up to a tape library, and when the job needs multiple tapes, BE12 creates a 'Media Family' for that job and spans the backup to more than one tape. This works great if you are restoring to another library. Cataloging the media is very quick.

However, if you do not have enough room in your budget for two tape libraries, one at the main site and one at the DR site, then you must use a cheaper single tape drive at the DR site. Cataloging your multi-tape backup jobs then becomes a real nightmare.

If you run a catalog with the “Use storage media-based catalogs” option turned on, you will only be able to restore the data off the first tape. Each other tape after that will show up as offline and you will not be able to select the items on those tapes for restoration. Once you turn off that option, you are left with catalog jobs that take about an hour and a half per job. Also, the only way to catalog a Media Family with a single tape drive is to do the following in this exact order:

1. Inventory all tapes starting with the last one and work your way to the first.

2. Catalog all the tapes starting with the last tape.

3. Once the last tape is cataloged, catalog the second to last. During this job, the system will ask you for the last tape again.

4. Repeat the processes of cataloging each tape in the family. Each catalog job will ask for all tapes after the current one in order.

This can take days if you have several tapes.

Here is my suggestion:

Instead of all that hassle with catalog options and such, allow cataloging of media families using media-based catalogs on single drives. Then, allow the user to select items from multiple tapes for restoration jobs. When the tape needs to be changed, have the software alert the user to insert the proper tape and allow the restore job to continue. Kind of like a ‘Human Library’ instead of a ‘Robotic Library’

BTW, if I am doing something wrong and that is causing all my problems, somebody please let me know.

0 REPLIES 0