cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog location change

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

I changed the location of where my catalog files are created. (I did this to troubleshoot other errors on cataloging tapes)

So the origianl location was location 1. And the new location is location 2.

Prior to moving the storage location of catalog files, I was able to go into 'job restore' and see the available dates by resource for every day in March. However,  since I have created a new file location, copied the catalogs files from location 1 into location 2, and then restarted the BExec services, I only see 1 day available to restore in March.

Why might this be?

11 REPLIES 11

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You got to restart all the BE services to get the catalogs re-indexed

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

stop BE services  and Run catrebuildindex -r from command prompt.

Note: switch path to symantec install directory programfiles\symantec in cmd

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Isn't restarting the BE services easier.  You only need to run catrebuildindex if a services restart fails to re-index the catalog.  This is document in one of the TN.

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

I am running into an issues performing the catrebuild.

Here is what the command returns to me.

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec>CatRebuildIndex.exe -r

CatUpgUseSqlCmd: false
Starting the upgrade of the catalog database
CatUpgrade: rebuildDatabase=true Reloading Catalog Schema

RunSQLCommand: UPDATE ControlInfo SET ControlValue = 1 WHERE ControlKeyword = 'M
ajor Version' OR ControlKeyword = 'Minor Version'
Execute command: UPDATE ControlInfo SET ControlValue = 1 WHERE ControlKeyword =
'Major Version' OR ControlKeyword = 'Minor Version'
OpenFromInitializationString Connection String = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated
Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=BEDB;Data Source=OurSe
rverName\SQLEXPRESS;Locale Identifier=1033;Application Name=BEWS DBUTIL hr=0x80004
Error connecting to BEDB database: hr = 0x80004005
Execute command failed: 0x80004005
OS ERROR: 0x80004005 (-2147467259)
Starting the upgrade of the catalog database schemaCDBOperation::GetBEWSCatalogS
chemaVersion sqlServerName=OurServerName sqlInstanceName=SQLEXPRESS dbName=BEDBOpe
nFromInitializationString Connection String = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Sec
urity=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=BEDB;Data Source=OurSe
rverName\SQLEXPRESS;Locale Identifier=1033;Application Name=BEWS DBUTIL hr=0x80004005

CatUpgrade: Catalog Schema 1.1
CDBOperation::GetBEWSCatalogSchemaVersion sqlServerName=OurServerName sqlInstanceN
ame=SQLEXPRESS dbName=BEDBOpenFromInitializationString Connection String = Provi
der=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Cata
log=BEDB;Data Source=OurServerName\SQLEXPRESS;Locale Identifier=1033;Application N
ame=BEWS DBUTIL hr=0x80004005

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Browse to HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\BEDatabase and verify the values of the "Catalog Database Server Name" key. Typically, it should be the same as that of "Server Database Server Name" key, i.e. the hostname of the local media server itself.

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

Hmmmm, we may be onto something here. The registry does not have a key called BEDatabase.

I do see the default location in Windows Explorer where the database is being backed up daily to a BEDB_Dat.mdf file.

VJware
Level 6

Try creating the keys per this screenshot - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH87914

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

Before I edit the registry, I just want to make sure...

My media server advanced properties shows our instance as SQLEXPRESS and the path is C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data

The same goes for "Device and Media Database" and the "Catalog Database".

So, when I look at the screenshot and it references MSSQLSERVER, should I instead put in SQLEXPRESS?

And where the screenshot shows the server database paths, should I instead use:

A. The path that my advanced properties shows ( C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data ) or ...

B. This path that does exist on the servers C:\ of  C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\DATA or ...

C. The screenshot path which appears I do not have

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6

If SQLEXPRESS is your instance name, then enter the same.

For Server Database Path, it would be akin to C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\bedb_dat.mdf and for server database log path, it would be C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\bedb_log.ldf

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

I will try this and update afterwards

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

I have added the keys in the registry and I am still getting errors with catrebuildindex -r   Perhaps it is something wrong with my config?

I have attached 4 sreenshots of my media server:

1. Registry that I created.

2. Media server explorer.

3. Media server > BExec Tools >Options > Jobs Logs

4. Media server Advanced Properties.

Thanks!