cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog old tapes and password unknown

AndyTh
Level 3
 Hi , I have been tasked with migrating data off of the old DLT media and onto the newer SDLT media. In order to do this, we have setup a new server with an SDLT library and two DLT libraries attached to it.
1. We are recalling tapes in droves.
2. I have to inventory the tapes in the DLT libraries
3. I have to catalog the tapes in the DLT libraries (this is where we run into problems, we have lost the password for some of these tapes, is there a way to get around this?)

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marksw
Level 5
 There is no way to recover a password protected tape without the password in Backup Exec!
You may have to look at some sort of low level utility to try and dump the data to disk.

Mark

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marksw
Level 5
 There is no way to recover a password protected tape without the password in Backup Exec!
You may have to look at some sort of low level utility to try and dump the data to disk.

Mark

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Agree with Mark - but to expand a little
BackupExec versions prior to 11D password protected tapes by added the password to the media header - as such a data recovery comany or various low level utilities might be able to bypass the header to read the MTF format of the tape.

If you are talking about tapes from 11D or newer however the passwords physically encrypt every piece of data on the tape which means data recovery is impossible.