cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog recovery v10d

jvoong
Level 2
I'm trying to recover entries from my catalog that I had set to expire after 60 days.  Right now when I look under restore selections anything older than 60 days has a "?" on it shows nothing.  I have a copy of my catalogs still from before I set the 60 day expirey which contains all the old entries.  

I've tried the following method to force a catalog reindex, but it doesn't work:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/272886.htm

After the step where it says to rename your catalog folder then restart backup exec and the restore selection list should be empty.  For me it doesn't go empty it just shows the selections folders with dates but nothing in them.  After that I rename the folder, but a re-indexing does not occur.

Is there something I am doing wrong?  Like missing some kind of service or have to clean out some cache somewhere that is remembering the old selections?

PS.  Under the options for catalog I have the "Use storage meda-cased catalogs" selected.  Would I have to disable this to force the re-index?

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
 Catalog contents are linked to the media index in the Backup Exec database - as such for restore selections to be visible you must have the media still present (inventoried) in the Backup Exec database and have the catalog files present in the Catalogs folder, as long as both the conditions are met, then if you restart the BE services (or force a catalog re-index) you should see your restore selections.

You will of course also need to unset the expiry date as otherwise the catalogs might be automatically removed.

jvoong
Level 2
How do I make sure that the media is still in the media index?  I've looked and all my tapes can be found under either the online or offline area of media location section.

Just to make things clear, I set the 60 day expiry and then came back the next day after the catalog entries had been physically removed by backup exec.  Lucky I had a copy of the complete catalog before portions of it was deleted.  Now I'm trying to get those portions back into the restore selection area by placing the old catalog files back into the catalog folder.

Like I said before a re-indexing does not happen at all... I don't see the bengine.exe taking up any CPU time at all.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
if the media is visible in the media tab of the Backup Exec console then it is in the inventory.

Which potentially leaves at least  2 possible causes:

1) A job since your catalogs were erased has re-used(overwriteen)  the same media - meaning the catalogs no longer match what is on the tape.
2) The catalogs themselves are corrupt

If 1 is the problem then there is little you can do, however it is worth starting with an empty catalogs folder and running a catalog job against one or more of the tapes/bkf files whilst "use storage media based catalogs" is not enabled - this will show you what data is actaully on the tape - so verify against 1 and additionally prove possible catalog corruption against 2.