cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog returns No Backup Sets - need to recover data from tape

David_Greenwell
Level 2
Partner

Have a situation where we had BE 2010 running on a server and it crashed.  In recovery process we had to load BE 2012.  We have an HP LTO 4 Autoloader 1/8 and had to run a catalog on the tapes to rebuild the backup sets.  There is one tape that is critical and it it is not reading any backup sets on it, when we know for certain it does.  This tape has data we need to recover, yet catalog shows it as empty.  What are my options to force a read of this tape and be able to recover data off it?

Much appreciated on help provided!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

1. Check "Request all media in sequence.... " box

2. Uncheck "Use storage-based catalogs" box

3. Uncheck "Request all media in sequence..." box

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

wBE 2012 changes things significantly from BE 2010 R3. This will sound strange, but Why not download and install BE 2010 R3 on the link below and then try the restore again?

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

Once you have your data back you can then upgrade to BE 2012, or stay on BE 2010 R3.

Thanks!

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Hi,

Did you try cataloging with "Use Storage-based catalogs" option unchecked? (Backup Exec button - Configuration and Settings - Backup Exec Settings - Catalogs)

What kind of data are you attempting to restore here? just Flat files / GRT (exchange/vmware/sharepoint/etc)

David_Greenwell
Level 2
Partner

Mark.. was in crisis mode and could not locate 2010 code.. tried to download the link provided and it only returns a 739 byte file as this .iso.  Any other place to download 2010 R3?

David_Greenwell
Level 2
Partner

No, it was checked.  Will try it nowand advise.  The data is flat files/directories.  Thanks!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Try it again...it definitely is the full ISO.

Ryan_Aubrey
Level 3

I'm going through the exact same issue.  How did this pan out?  That check bock is checked, but greyed, so I am unable to uncheck it. :\

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

1. Check "Request all media in sequence.... " box

2. Uncheck "Use storage-based catalogs" box

3. Uncheck "Request all media in sequence..." box

Ryan_Aubrey
Level 3

Ah-ha, thanks! :)  I'm running the catalog now, and we'll see how it goes!  Thanks again for the quick reply! :)

Ryan_Aubrey
Level 3

That process worked for me