cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cataloging in Backup Exec

Febby
Level 2
 Hi

I have 2 x Windows 2003 SBS Servers both with a copy of Veritas Backup Exec 10.

Every night i restore the previous nights on the 2nd server.  The only problem i have is that it takes 40 mins to catalog every tape.

Is there a way of transferring the catalog files from the 1st server to the 2nd server to make this process quicker.

thanks

Febby
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

B_Michael
Level 3
Hello Febby,
Look under the path to Backup Exec, Catlalogs subfolder.
While it may not speed up the process (cause these files can be large) - you may can schedule the transfer to occur after the backup is completed (a simple batch file set to run post-backup).  That way it'd be available for you when you perform the restore.

You might also double-check the setting for media-based catalogs so that the information is stored on the tape...

Michael 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Stop the services on both servers, the copy the Catalogs folder over, Start the services.  Wait about 3-5 minutes after the services start to make sure the catalogs get indexed.

B_Michael
Level 3
Hello Febby,
Look under the path to Backup Exec, Catlalogs subfolder.
While it may not speed up the process (cause these files can be large) - you may can schedule the transfer to occur after the backup is completed (a simple batch file set to run post-backup).  That way it'd be available for you when you perform the restore.

You might also double-check the setting for media-based catalogs so that the information is stored on the tape...

Michael