cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cataloging of old tapes results in error "incorrect block size"

Calis
Level 4

Hi Guys, I have a bunch of LTO3 tapes that came out of my datacenter's tape library running a HP Ultrium 3 drive with Backup exec 2012.

I'm running inventory and cataloging on an old server at my office which runs an IBM LTO TD3.

Most of worked without any hassels but a bunch inventory then fail immeidatly with the following:

Job ended: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 at 2:47:08 PM

Completed status: Failed Final error: 0xe00084f3 - The block size being used is incorrect.

Final error category: Backup Device Errors For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34035

I've checked the block size and it was 64k on the Ultirum drive and is also 64k on the IBM.

SCSI doesnt appear to be an issue as any other tapes complete ok.

I've removed and reinstalled the tape drive but to no avail.

Any thing else I can try to get these things cataloged?

Cheers,

Calis

2 REPLIES 2

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Can you please check the following :

• In the device manager check which driver is the medium changer using? If it is OEM, change it to the Microsoft driver, which will show as unknown medium changer.
  • Checked the drivers the tape drive is using by right clicking the tape drive and checking its properties>drivers - this should be using Symantec drivers, if it is using OEM drivers or Microsoft drivers change it to Symantec drivers. This can also be done using the tapeinst.exe utility located at C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec and running the wizard > If the drivers are changed for either the medium changer or the tape drive then the server in question will need a reboot for the devices to function properly
  • In BE, right click and disable the device and then right click and delete the device (when the services are recycled the devices will come back up)
  • Power Cycle the Library - first shut down the server, shut down the library, give it 5 minutes, power on the library > wait till it comes back online> power the server backup up 
  • Run an inventory and see if it works fine

Ananya_Bhattach
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Also check http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH4903 if it is relevant in your case, the error listed is the same