cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cataloging problem with database

CDWijaya
Not applicable

Hi All,

I recently deleted all the catalogs on our Backup Exec 10d 5629 for the purpose of recataloging all tapes.

Previously, the Options -> Settings -> Catalog has Use storage media-based catalogs CHECKED. This time, the recataloging will have that option UNCHECKED.

Due to the previous settings, many of the backup tapes are part of one or more backup tapes set which I don't know which belongs to which. To make things worse, the original catalogs are gone.

This is my scenario:
I know that Tape D is the last of the set of 4 tapes (Tape A, B, C, D) in chronological order. I successfully cataloged Tape D, with errors of missing media, of course, since it's part of a set.

Then I accidentally cataloged Tape A. It also went successfully, with errors of missing media.

The catalog shows data from Tape A and Tape D. I can restore without errors.

Currently, I am trying to complete the catalog set (i.e., from Tape B and C)

Now, Each time I tried to catalog Tape B OR C, It will always eject it and ask for Tape A. I believe it's because the database already sees Tape A as being the first of the four tapes. If I insert Tape A, it will only catalog Tape A and return an error.

If I had had cataloged Tape D, then Tape B, then Tape C, then Tape A, I would not have had this problem.

Is there a way to undo the cataloging of Tape A so that Backup Exec will erase all information pertaining to Tape A. I tried deleting the catalog file of Tape A, but it is still asking for Tape A whenever I want to catalog Tape B or C. This only happens when I accidentally cataloged the first tapes of a series. I doesn't happened if I do i backwards. I believe it has something to do with the database file?

Thank You for your help.

0 REPLIES 0