cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cataloging tapes from a tape autoloader with partitions...

JRink
Level 3

Is anyone else experiencing this kind of behavior?

I have a new media server.  I have an HP MSL2024 tape autoloader attached partitioned out in 1-19, 20-22, 23-24.

In Tools|Options, I have the Catalog options set for Request All Media....  UNCHECKED.

Yet, if I go to Device, and choose to catalog the tape that's in slot 1 (Which is part of partition 1-19), rather than cataloging just this ONE tape, it is cataloging tapes in the OTHER slots of that partition.  I started the catalog job last night at 10pm, and 12 hours later it's still running, however, when I look under devices, the tape autoloader now has the tape from slot 5 in use, not from slot 1.   It's still running... And when I go to Restore, and view by Media, I am showing all the media from slots 1-5 having been cataloged.  I'm going to assume it will continue to catalog slots 6-19 as well.

Any idea why this is happening?  Symantec Tech told me that UNCHECKING the "Request all media..." Under Tools|Options|Catalog would stop this from occuring, but it hasn't done that obviously...

JR

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

After unchecking the option, did you stop/start the BE Services?

JRink
Level 3

Hi Ken,

Yes I made sure to do that.

I spoke with a Symantec Tech Support guy today who said it's normal for a catalog job of a single tape to catalog ALL tapes in the partitioned autoloader, even with these options unchecked.  This is contrary to what the other tech support guy I spoke with last week said but.... 

I have 19 slots in the partition.  Started a catalog job of slot 1 last night at 10pm.  It's now 1pm on the following day and the job is still running.  However, my device now has the tape from slot 7 loaded into it... I imagine it will go through all 19 before the catalog job finishes....

Guess this is just the way it's supposed to work... ?

JR

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I guess you need to make a note to yourself to unload all the other tapes from the partition before cataloging, next time Smiley Wink

(or else move that one to one of the smaller partitions)

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 10-06-2008 01:31 PM