cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central Administration Server

fmagic
Not applicable
Partner Accredited
We are trying to add a remote server to our Central Administration Server. The CAS is running Backup Exec 10d (10.1) and the remote server is running Backup Exec 10.0. We have several other servers that we were able to connect using the same version. Both servers are running Windows Server 2003. All servers are connected via a high-speed WAN connection (T1 or greater.) On this remote server, when we go to Tools|Set Central Administration Server, we enter the CAS server name and click OK and we receive an error: "Failed to set the central administration server. An attempt to read the registry on the specified remote media server failed. Make sure that the specified server has Backup Exec installed and is a central administration server." We are able to connect using Registry Editor (regedit) to and from both servers. We are not aware of any other problems. We are using an account that has full "Domain Admin" rights.

Any ideas why we would receive this message and what we might be able to try to workaround this problem?
5 REPLIES 5

Mincom_NT
Level 4
I am experiencing this exact problem as well

Any ideas?

Mincom_NT
Level 4
ahhhaaaaa

Figured it out

In my case I did not actually have the managed media server component installed on my target servers.

Resolution
Log onto the

Mincom_NT
Level 4
ahhhaaaaa

Figured it out

In my case I did not actually have the managed media server component installed on my target servers.

Resolution
Log onto the server that you

Mincom_NT
Level 4
ahhhaaaaa

Figured it out

Resolution
Log onto the server that you want to setup as a managed media server.
Open up the backup exec admin console.
goto tools\serial numbers and Installation
hit next 3 times and check the option for Managed Media Server underneath Backup Exec for Windows servers

You will then be prompted for the hostname of your CASO, enter that and after 3 mins and a quick service restart, you will be in business

Kinda silly that you get the option to set a CASO in the tools menu when you do not have the actual component installed though.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
You should also ensure your CASO server and Managed Media Servers are the same version of BE.
You can upgrade 10.0 to 10.1 free of charge. See Upgrading from 10 to 10d