cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Certain Volume failing on Backup Job Error Code = e0008445

savagej3
Level 3

I have a rather large backup job that goes through multiple servers and does incremental backups every night. I have a file server with 6 drives. Every drive backs up successfully except the last one. It fails every night on this drive. Here is the error I see:

e0008445 - The media operation was terminated by the user.

I am fairly new to Backup Exec taking over an environment from someone else, so I may be looking in the wrong places for clues, but this is the only error I can seem to find. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place for errors/logs?

The only other thing I see is under details for that servers backup, it shows backup status as "Canceled" for the last drive while the other drives that are backing up correctly say Backed up. 

Thanks for any help!

12 REPLIES 12

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Check the TN below and see if it helps you at all:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH36822

Thanks!

savagej3
Level 3

I think you may be on to something with job being canceled after a time limit. I cannot seem to find the menus that this article points to however. Where are the  Priority and Availability settings located in Backup Exec 2014 Ver 14.1?

Thanks

savagej3
Level 3

Figured it out! Schedule was causing it to fail. Changed some things and will test over the week. 

savagej3
Level 3

Spoke to soon. It still failed. This time it ran 10 hours instead of 8 and it still backed up the same amount of data but failed after 10 hours. 

Looks like it hangs once it gets to a certain Drive on one of my file servers, then backs up nothing after that. Just hangs there until it hits the 10 hour limit.

Any ideas? Only thing I can see is it mentions something about files in use. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Did you enable AOF for your job? If not, do so

savagej3
Level 3

Yes AOF is enabled and set to Automatic-Allow VSS to select the snapshot provider

CraigV

...are there any hardware errors on that drive in particular?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try backing up that particular drive separately and see whether there is any problems.  Also, check that there are no housekeeping or other jobs which are using the drive at the same time as the backup.

savagej3
Level 3

Looks like my issue still is time. I ran a 1 time job on that one volume and it took 11 hours to backup 415GB of data on that volume, so when I run the full job it never has a chance to finish within alotted time frame...

I guess my issue is I have too much data and need to speed up my backup times somehow....

CraigV

If you have an excessively large amount of small files then it might explain the length of time taken to backup to tape. The drive will "shoe-shine" during the backup...stop and start without being able to hit a decent stream from disk to tape.

You can verify this by backing up that drive to a B2D if you have available disk that can be presented to the media server.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are using the archive bit method, change it to the modified time method which is faster.

savagej3
Level 3

Still rather confused about what is going on... I ran a full backup over the weekend and it took 11 Hours and backed up 415 GB of data before failing because the tape ran out of space, not sure why it didnt go to next tape?

And my incrementals get about 477GB in then fail at the 10 hour limit. Does not really say why, other than it stopped at that point in the backup because of time limit and took 8+Hours on a specific drive. Assuming the tape is filling up as well during incremental?

We just ordered an LTO6 drive/tapes so I am hoping that will solve our issues. I am thinking we are just trying to move too much data but I struggle to troubleshoot the direct issues I am seeing.