cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Backup Exec 9.1 database without reinstalling?

technicaltitch
Level 3

Dear all

We're upgrading the SQL Server 2000 database that Backup Exec uses to store its logs.

I stupidly removed the users associated with the bkupexec database, (while trying to change the default instance to make way for the upgrade) so can no longer connect.

I have restored the bkupexec database to the default instance, but need to point Backup Exec at it.

BEDB does not offer me 'New Backup Exec database location'. (I hoped a software update might add the function, but when I run Veritas Update it redirects to a page saying 'Update client not found'.)

How can I point Backup Exec to a different database instance please?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...are you using SQL Server 2005? If so, you're out of luck...BE 9.1 only supports up to SQL 2000 which explains why you can't get into BE, or mount the BEDB properly.

If this is the case you've got to consider moving to a version that does support SQL 2005...at a bare minimum that would be 11d. Alternatively, you can upgrade to BE 2010 R3 with SP1 through a multistep backup process as outlined below:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74418

Just remember to grab a copy of the Data and Catalogs folders before doing it, and you will need new license keys so contact Symantec licensing...

Thanks!

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

technicaltitch
Level 3

Update: Backup Exec won't uninstall itself because it can't connect to the database - it displays the error "Login failed for database\bkupexec" then after a few minutes gives up.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Use the beutility.exe to create a new database, or point to another database:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH23769

technicaltitch
Level 3

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Unfortunately BEUtility as well as the application connect to the BkupExec instance, so fail with errors when I try Rebuild, Repair or Recover. The specific error in this case is:

Performing database recovery for BEDB database.

Error: The database linkage is bad.

Dastabase recover for server <server name> ended with errors.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

CraigV

...you might have to drop the database and reload from base. This will recreate the BEDB for you. The SQL service for the BKUPEXEC instance must also be running on the Local System account, nothing else.

Reloading from base unfortunately means you need to recreate all your jobs and recatalog your tapes...

technicaltitch
Level 3

Thanks very much again for your patient help!

I can't drop the database or run the user account SPs as the whole instance has no users for me to connect with. I tried removing the whole instance by uninstalling SQL Server, however when I tried to reinstall the BKUPEXEC instance it says the instance already exists. (SQL Server 2005+ can be run in single user mode to connect as an administrator, but SQL Server 2000 doesn't allow this.)

Is there any way I can get Veritas to look at a different instance? Or force it to create a database elsewhere?

Thanks hugely

CraigV

...are you using SQL Server 2005? If so, you're out of luck...BE 9.1 only supports up to SQL 2000 which explains why you can't get into BE, or mount the BEDB properly.

If this is the case you've got to consider moving to a version that does support SQL 2005...at a bare minimum that would be 11d. Alternatively, you can upgrade to BE 2010 R3 with SP1 through a multistep backup process as outlined below:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74418

Just remember to grab a copy of the Data and Catalogs folders before doing it, and you will need new license keys so contact Symantec licensing...

Thanks!

technicaltitch
Level 3

In that case I'll leave SQL Server 2000 on the server. Is there any way I can get it to point to a different instance?

I've tried deleting the BKUPEXEC instance every way I can find, including manually removing it from registry and file system, but subsequent installation to that instance name fails.

technicaltitch
Level 3

I have finally managed to reinstall BKUPEXEC ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320873 ), used BEUtility to restore the database, but when I try to start the services get the error:

Processing services

Start services on server: BAROSSA
Starting Backup Exec Naming Service on BAROSSA.
The service Backup Exec Naming Service is already running on BAROSSA.
Starting Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers on BAROSSA.
The service Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers is already running on BAROSSA.
Starting Backup Exec Device & Media Service on BAROSSA.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Device & Media Service on BAROSSA.
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Starting Backup Exec Server on BAROSSA.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Server on BAROSSA.
The dependency service or group failed to start.

Starting Backup Exec Job Engine on BAROSSA.
Error starting the service Backup Exec Job Engine on BAROSSA.
The dependency service or group failed to start.

Starting Backup Exec Agent Browser on BAROSSA.
The service Backup Exec Agent Browser is already running on BAROSSA.
Start services on server BAROSSA completed.

Processing services completed!

I suspected my attempted uninstall of Backup Exec had left it corrupted, so tried a repair install. But it won't accept my serial, (presumably because I have already used it?). The software came with our (Dell) server.

Any ideas?

Thank you

technicaltitch
Level 3

That is very useful indeed thank you and the question I wasn't thinking to ask! I was intending to upgrade to 2005

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

There are a number of reg keys that won't exist if you were on a default installation that control this, however as you are on 9.1 it is difficult for us to confirm the exact keys that you would have to create and it would be dangerous for me to only give you some of them by accident.

As such what I woudl recommend you do is

Take copies of your BEDatabase files, the XML files in the Data folder and the Catalogs folder and make a note of your serial numbers (or copy the besernum file if present)

Then uninstall Backup Exec.

Make sure your SQL 2000 instances is configuired with all protocols enabled (and latest Service pack levels)

Then re-install Backup Exec to this already existing SQL instance.

Once installed (and patched up to date)

Stop all services (including the SQL one) and put your old database files and catalogs back in place and start them up again.

This should create all the correct registry keys and give you your database and catalogs

BTW (especially with 9.1 but also for all versions) we strongly recommend having the Backup Exec database in it's own SQL instance that is not shared with a production application databases. As such I hope your reason for doing this is NOT to consolidate into one instance.

technicaltitch
Level 3

Thanks hugely for these instructions. Unfortunately they are not working. When I try to uninistall Backup Exec I'm displayed the error "Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid.", then "Please provide original BEWS install media to re-apply transforms." before the uninstall gives up. When I try to install Backup Exec, when I enter our serial number and click Add, I get "An Invalid licence key has been entered. Please verify the key and try again.", (perhaps because it assumes my install is an upgrade install, as notified in an earlier message). We use BE on other servers too and it has been nearly a decade since this was installed, however I searched our registry and found the key I am using at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NameSvc\CITYFIOSHQ\BAROSSA\SerNo so I'm pretty sure I'm using the correct one. The environment check warned that (i) I was using Terminal Services, but I'm not using mapped drives, that (ii) I'm not in a domain, but it is a server install, that (iii) I don't have Symantec AV, but we have another vendor's, and that (iv) SQL Server 2000 hasn't been service packed.

On this, will SQL Express have a lighter footprint than SQL Server 2000? (I'd be willing to lose our logs and config if necessary to get rid of SQL Server 2k 0 this is why I embarked on this exercise.)

So looks like I'll have to do a manual uninstall. Are the steps to remove the Program Files\VERITAS directory (BE is our only Veritas product) and remove the registry branch HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS?

Or is there another option pls?

Thank you again

Vinothkumar
Level 3

To do the manual uninstallation of the backup exec 9

The best aricle would be

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH124227

You have a step by step procedure for the manual uninstallation including the registry keys as well

Note: Before we work on registry always better backup the entire regsitry to avoid issues.

technicaltitch
Level 3

I have manually uninstalled Backup Exec, but the install process will still not recognize my serial number, as obtained when we bought the product and as used successfully when we first installed the product.

I have tried re-registering our serial, (using any of the four serials we have - on the back of the CD, and inside the box for BE and Continuous Protection Server and the one we got when we registered before), but the serial registration website says "Our database does not recognize the serial number you entered *********"

Veritas support - please advise. Happy to send you our serial numbers privately. 

Thanks

Chris

There was no besernum.xml in our instalation, but I confirmed that the serial I'm using is the right one by checking the registry before uninstalling.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I suggest you to contact Symantec (licensing) Support, you can find the contact details here:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp

technicaltitch
Level 3

That's a great link thanks - I'd called before but been refused service as I don't have an active support subscription. Call logged, will report back here when I figure out what went wrong. Thanks hugely for everyone's time and help.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

In 9.x I believe the serial numbers were installed in a file called besernum (the extenstion may not have been xml back then) in the C:\Windows or C:\WINNT folder

Might be worth you checking that if you still have the original server.

technicaltitch
Level 3

Thanks hugely for the tips. I didn't have the besernum file, but I was sure I was using the correct serial as I found it already in the registry. Turns out somehow the software on the CD was corrupted - when I downloaded the software from the following link I was able to install fine.

DOWNLOAD LINK for BUE 9.1 for Windows servers:
Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers revision 4691.1 Installation Files (Single .ZIP download): http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH29571

Unfortunately I'm unable to click 'solution' on more than one post, but there were clearly a number of problems we solved through this process.

Huge thanks to everyone to took the time to read and to help me - very much appreciated.

Chris