cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Block Tracking file size

Alex_Zn
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What additional size do i need to consider if i want to use Change Block Tracking technology for VM backup?

Additional 5MB of disk space per every 10GB of vmdk size.

6 REPLIES 6

samueljn
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Do you mean the additional size in the Datastore?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Kind of a question for VMware really

Alex_Zn
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes.

Alex_Zn
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Probably you are right, but if you ask costumer to enable CBT, the resonable question from them "What should i consider if i do so?". So you may have an answer. I post it because people search for answer, let them find it here :) 

samueljn
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Changed Block Tracking (CBT) is a VMware feature that helps perform incremental backups. Virtual machines running on ESX/ESXi hosts can track disk sectors that have changed.

You can't have a specific number as a reccomendation as it is more based on how often the files are getting changed/added.

You may use this link for more info: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102012...

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You can either choose the default which you mentioned earlier or prolly calculate it manually...

1 ctk file for each vmdk file...further on, each vmdk block would correspond to one record on the ctk...and each record is a few bytes in size...as it stores the USN or rather 'state' of the block... now this block size is a variable depending upon the vmdk size & grows accordingly....pretty messy ;)

I would say there is no fixed additional size for one to consider if CBT is enabled... I guess, the default recommendation should be good enough.