cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change a old Tape to a new one, data and databaseentries

nugator
Level 4

How can i move data from a tape to a new tape and also update the databaseentries ?

13 REPLIES 13

kf2013
   VIP   

I think you have only one tape drive ,right?

yes, one tape drive but a 24-slot library.

Does somebody has any idea

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since you have only one tape drive, you need to duplicate the backup sets from the old tape to a disk storage and then duplicate them from disk storage to the new tape.

You can only do tape-to-tape duplication if you have two tape drives.

Yes of course, but whats with the databaseentries? When if have to restore files how would the backupexec know where the file is?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You are taking about the catalogs and when you duplicate data in Backup Exec it creates a catalog for the duplicate so it keeps track of all of the sets whether it is a duplicate or an original set.

Colin_Weaver

For a breakdown  of how te Databsee, The catalogs and teh Media relate to each other please see:

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000114126

Note: the article is written for disk because of what it discusses but the relationship between the components applies to tapes as well.

Thanks a lot. But how can i dublicate one tape to disk and back to a new tape?

Colin_Weaver

You need plenty of disk space on your BE server

You then create a disk storage device (B2D) location

You then create a duplicate job from the tape sets to the disk

You then change tape and create a duplicate job back again.

If you really want to duplicate a lot tapes to new tapes it might be better to invest in better tape hardware (two tape drives or a libary with two drives - although the library suggestion will need a LEO license as well)

OK--------You need plenty of disk space on your BE server---------done  

OK--------You then create a disk storage device (B2D) location----done

?-----------You then create a duplicate job from the tape sets to the disk-------don't know how, sorry

?-----------You then change tape and create a duplicate job back again.-------don't know how, sorry

How can i create a dublicate job for one tape to disk?

Colin_Weaver

You cannot duplicate the tape itself you have to duplicate each of the sets on the tape one at a time.

OK, that's realy bad.

Tanks to all