cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change backup set data retention

Il_Ventu
Level 3

Hello,

I have to change the data retention of some specific backup sets. I'm an user of BEX 2015 and 2010 edition is a bit different, I cannot found the section where to set backup expiration.

Do you have hints ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
For BE 2010, all backup sets, tape or disk, are controlled by media sets. You need to change the OPP of the media set which contains the backup sets

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

On the media set itself you will find the Overwrite Protection Period and Append Period. Change it there and it changes all the tapes retention.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Are you referring to dish or take backup sets? For tape backup sets, they are still managed by media sets, just like BE 2010. For disk backup sets, the retention period is set in your jobs. If you want to delete then before the retention period is up, right-click on the backup set and select Expire. If you want to keep backup sets beyond the retention period set in the job, then right-click on the backup set and select Retain. You cannot change the retention after the backup sets are created

Il_Ventu
Level 3

Hello,

thanks for the answers, so if I want to avoid existing backup set to be overwritten the only choice is change expiring date of the media that belongs to the backup set.

I was not clear, usually I use BES 2015 but in this case I have the issue on an old BES 2010 installation.

The backup is on NAS.

It's correct ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Doesn't matter what the backup media is. Changing the OPP/Append settings will immediately change this on the media.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
For BE 2010, all backup sets, tape or disk, are controlled by media sets. You need to change the OPP of the media set which contains the backup sets

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Actually for disk based sets you can individually change the retention of sets after the backup has happened.

As well as Expire and Retain settings mentioned by pkh (on the right click, context menu) BE 15 also has a setting called Expiration which allows you to manually change the date and time of expiration of a set.

Note: this setting was not in BE 2012, although I believe it was in BE 2014 as one of the enhancements between versions and does not aply to 2010 and earlier as Media sets managed disk backups in the same way as tapes for older versions.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This Expiration setting is not present in BE 2014 which has only Expire