cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change (not move) database location

Johan_Fernberge
Level 3
I have an Backup Exec 10 server with the database on a separate SQL 2000 server. I want to move the database to another SQL 2000 server.

The Backup Exec Utility wants to shut down the existing SQL server, which it cannot do (presumably because it's on another server). I would like to know if/how I can:

1] Copy/move the database without shutting down the SQL server, or:

2] Shut down BE, move the database using SQL tools, point BE to the new database server and start the BE services again.
9 REPLIES 9

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/271620.htm should answer your questions

Johan_Fernberge
Level 3
No, it doesn't. I've already tried that, but as I mentioned, it tries to shut down (the remote) SQL server, which it cannot do.

Frankly, I don't understand why it should do that. Perhaps it's trying to copy the database file(s) instead of just reading the information from the old database and writing it to the new, which in my opionion would be the correct thing to do.

Judging by this behaviour, I would say that the function is intended only for moving from a local MSDE to a remote SQL.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmm

Hate to say it, but sounds like the next thing to try is a phone call to Veritas/Symantec

The article says nothing about shutting down either SQL instance, only that the local BE services will be shut down.

Johan_Fernberge
Level 3
It can be seen in another support document covering the same thing, 275658.

It actually looks like it needs to shut down and restart both the source and destination SQL servers...

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Yes both the servers will need to be restarted.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jim_Quigley
Level 3
The BeUtility method does stop/start SQL services, as I found, much to the chagrin of our DBA staff, when I moved a Backup Exec database to a server that hosts over 100 databases. Is there a way to do this manually? The DBA folks will not allow me to use the BeUtility method.

Johan_Fernberge
Level 3
I found no other solution, so I simply closed all Backup Exec services, used SQL Enterprise Manager to move the database from one server to another and used regedit on the BE server to change the server references under the VERITAS key from the old server to the new.

(I think the server name was on two or three locations, there's a subkey named Adamm and another named BEDatabase. I also had to change the database file path reference.)

I then started all services, did a database consistency check through BEUtility and everything seems ok. Probably not supported, though...

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Hello,

It seems that this has resolved the issue.

Are you getting any errors?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Johan_Fernberge
Level 3
Yes, it works now without any problems (that can be related to the database move).