cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Destination repository locations

KubotaBX24
Level 2
Hi, first time poster.... I have a client that is running Backup Exec for Windows Server 2003. I am not familiar with the program. They currently back up to a tape drive unit. They're happy with their backup jobs as written but they want to change to an external HD. Is this a simple task? 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Its a very simple task...

--Connect the USB Drive and check for the Drive letter.
Now we need to create a Removable Backup to Disk Folder:
-- To create a removable Backup-to-Disk folder, do the following:
Go to the Devices TAB...In the Devices pane, expand All Devices | <computer name> | Backup-to-Disk | Backup-to-Disk Folders...
--
Right-click Removable Backup-to-Disk Devices, and then click New Backup Folder..
--
A new removable Backup-to-Disk folder will be created..

Now we need to route our existing jobs on this Drive:
-- Open job properties and go to device and media and select the Removable B2D folder...

Hope this helps...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Its a very simple task...

--Connect the USB Drive and check for the Drive letter.
Now we need to create a Removable Backup to Disk Folder:
-- To create a removable Backup-to-Disk folder, do the following:
Go to the Devices TAB...In the Devices pane, expand All Devices | <computer name> | Backup-to-Disk | Backup-to-Disk Folders...
--
Right-click Removable Backup-to-Disk Devices, and then click New Backup Folder..
--
A new removable Backup-to-Disk folder will be created..

Now we need to route our existing jobs on this Drive:
-- Open job properties and go to device and media and select the Removable B2D folder...

Hope this helps...

KubotaBX24
Level 2
Hey Thanks for the quick response. I won't be at the job site for a couple days. I'm waiting until they're purchase of the external drives to come in.
Another quick question you might know the answer to... Can I set the program to write to 2 externals at the same time? In effect Mirror imaging. I don't think it's necessary myself, but these guys lost some important data a couple years ago and now they're very conservative. I suggested a couple saving to the cloud options but they're old school and don't trust online. If I can't write to the 2 drives at the same time it's not a show stopper. I'll just have them run Clonezilla to image the drive once a month. No matter what happens I'll post the outcome when I'm done. I always like to close the loop.  Thanks

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Please find the link on Removable B2D:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/253764

Can I set the program to write to 2 externals at the same time?
We should not perform a Read OR Write operation on the USB Drive when the Backup/ restore Job is running on the USB Drive...

hope this helps...

Symboy
Level 6
Accredited Certified
Hi

If these are two different external drives , then yes you can run different backups at the same time on these two drives .