cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing expiration date of backup set using command line / sql script

dss_thinktank
Level 4

Hi,

I would like to create a script which would update expiration date of existing backup sets in disk based storage  "x"-days forward. It seems there are no such command in  BEMCLI.. or I have been unable to find it. Does anybody know where this information is stored and is it possible to modify it using powershell- or sql script? 

Definition of backup job, "keep for x days", does not help me in this case.

\thinktank

1 REPLY 1

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Sorry but the DLM expiry information is mostly stored in the catalogs and there are no scripts to help you and if you attempt your own modifications to the catalogs you could corrupt things and when catalogs get corrupted you can have service instability, early reclaim(deletion) of backup sets, late reclaim of backup sets (disk space issues) and/or lack of restore selections. At which point you would be officially unsupported due to the manual modifications of the catalog content.

The media set expiry of the overwrite protection period for tapes is kept in the BEDB but again any attempt to modify the BEDB contents would be unsupported with a worst case scenario being you broke the retention in such a way that the tape was overwritten early

Basically if you want to change the disk sets expiry use the Admin Console and right click on the set to choose a different expiry (be careful one of the choices means expire now)

For tapes you would move the tape in question to a different media set.