Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing server FQDN without breaking backup jobs

itDPTech
Level 3

Hello,

We just renamed our primary domain.

I now have issues with all of the servers in Backup Exec that we used to backup. The FQDN of all of our servers has changed, so BackupExec is treating them all as new servers.

Is there a way we can just change the existing servers to match the new FQDN so we don't lose our job history?

All the servers have Windows Server OS. Most of them have Windows Server 2008 R2 but the older ones still have Windows Server 2003 SP2 and the newer ones have Windows Server 2012 R2.

Maybe it is something obvious but I am just a beginner and I didn't find anything on this issue.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  There is no way to just change the server FQDN.

What you are experiencing is to be expected, but don't worry.  The job history under the old server name will not be affected.  They will remain until they expire and are purged from the BE console.  Once all the job history and backup sets are purged then the old server names would be deleted from the BE console.

In the meantime, you would be adding job history to the new server names.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  There is no way to just change the server FQDN.

What you are experiencing is to be expected, but don't worry.  The job history under the old server name will not be affected.  They will remain until they expire and are purged from the BE console.  Once all the job history and backup sets are purged then the old server names would be deleted from the BE console.

In the meantime, you would be adding job history to the new server names.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

In addition to pkh's answer, in the newer versions of Backup Exec You can also move the objects representing the old (FQDN) server names to the retired servers group which will mean that they no longer show in any other server list displays but can still be used for restores if needed.