cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the current media

esco
Level 4

I have LTO000007 (refer image 2 attached) as the current media for backup. It is full and I do not want to overwrite the contents of the media. Is there any way I can change it to another media, say LTO000004 (refer image 1 attached) automatically using backup exec 2010.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Create a new media set and specify a long Overwrite Protection Period, then right-click and associate LTO0007 with this media set. This will prevent BE from overwriting this tape. BE will then look for other overwritable tapes

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Create a new media set and specify a long Overwrite Protection Period, then right-click and associate LTO0007 with this media set. This will prevent BE from overwriting this tape. BE will then look for other overwritable tapes

esco
Level 4

Lets say I created a media set, and asscociated it to the new media set. After doing it

Will I be able to associate it to the old media set back again?

Will it have any impact on the data stored in the media?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes, you will be able to associate the tape with the old media set & then the tape will inherit the Overwrite Protection period (OPP) and Append Protection period (APP) of the targetted media set. This will not directly impact the data on the tape, however depending upon the OPP/APP media settings, this tape may be overwritten/appended by a backup job.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
For all media, you are free to associate them with any media set at any time. However, do note that when a media is associated with a media set, it immediately use the OPP and AP of the media at that it belongs to. As previously advised, if the OPP of the new media set is shorter than the previous one then your tape will get overwritten earlier

esco
Level 4

I have created a media set and associted the media with the media set. Now I want to backup to the other medias availabale. But when I try to backup I get a status of queued (refer image error screen.JPG). I have attached a screenshot of my medias too (refer image media.JPG)

How can I do a backup now?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The backup job is queued, possibly because there isn't any overwritable media available.

I would first recommend to have a look @ this KB which explains about OPP/APP and how a tape is picked up by a backup job - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5459