cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checksum Error with Backup Exec 2010

MattWin
Level 3

I have upgraded from Backup Exec 12.5 to 2010 last month and every backup fails with A checksum of the data has failed.  Backup exec is on a 2008 R2 server with a Single Channel ultra 320 SCSI PCIe card installed.  The tape drive is a Quantum SuperLoader 3.  I have updated the drivers on that I saw as a suggestion in one of the articles that I read on this.  There is another issue that happens as well.  Backup Exec becomes unresponsive and a tape becomes "stuck" in the drive and doesn't go back to the sleeve.  I have to reboot the tape drive and the server.  I edited the tape speed from 320 to 180 in the bios and it seemed to help some.  I know that it could be the card but I am looking for ideas just in case someone else had this issue and it wasn't the card.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Matt

4 REPLIES 4

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

R u facing this issue during the verify stage of a backup job?

Refer the TN http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH83058 and see if it helps in finding where the problem actually is..

Thanks...

MattWin
Level 3

Kiran,

sorry that it took so long to get back to you. I went thru that list. It didn't help. This is not only happening on the verify stage. It happens when I do a restore and even when I don't verify the backup. I have changed the cable but that didn't work. Also, a couple times during the week, the backup exec seems to freeze causing the tape to be stuck in the drive. I have to reboot the superloader to get the tape out and then reboot the server to get backup exec to function again. Any other ideas?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

have you tried shutting down all BackupExec services and running a couple of passes of the manufacturer's diagnostics on the drive?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I think there might be a problem with tape hardware.

Have a check by using vendor specific tools and make sure that the hardware is working fine. Select write test also during testing.

If any problem with tape drive/robot found, contact the vendor and get it replaced.

Regards...