cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choose next available tape

khoagk
Level 3

when using the robotic tape libary, how do I set it up to run mutilple  full backup jobs (staging with different time), and chose the next available tape for different days? once again, thank you for all your help and quick responds.

28 REPLIES 28

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No

khoagk
Level 3

all the tapes are in scratch media and when I start the job, the job would que and BE could not load any tape. any suggestions why that is?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Test with a backup of a couple of small files.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Backup exec should just grab a tape from scratch media set and assign it to the media set in need of a tape.

khoagk
Level 3

on monday, the BE use tape 1 from scratch media and assign to media set . tuesday , BE took tape 2 from scratch media. BUT on wednesday, BE use tape 1 again. my media set propertie is OPP 2 weeks, AP 5 days. why would BE use tape 1 again? please advise.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Because your append setting is on 5 days, so BE may use that tape again for the next 5 days after the first time writing to the tape. So on monday it grabs the tape, it can use it again until friday.

If you don't want that behaviour you should make your append dat way shorter, like 1 day. But why would you want this ? its extreme waste of space on tape to have only one backup set per tape?

Or do you want one tape per day?

EDIT: Forgot to answer one of your questions. It took tape 2 because it probably had to backup to a different media set so it needed a new tape. It took tape 1 again for the first media set and because it was appendable for 5 days.

khoagk
Level 3

i want 1 tape per day. i will have 3-4 backups to 1 tape.  how would i set that up?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The first job of the day to write to the tape specify overwrite and the rest of the jobs specify append. Set your AP to 1 day

khoagk
Level 3

thank you i will set it to 1 day .