cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choose which updates to install when running live update

rickyj
Level 3

Hi.  I am running windows server 2003.  I have Backup exec 12.5 for windows and Symantec Endpoint protection Manager installed on this server.  Before I installed SEPM, i was able to pick and choose which updates i wanted to install and see the hotfix information associated with them.  Now when i run live update, updates are automatically downloaded and installed.    I have already ran the following command to separate backup exec from the automatic SEPM live updates:

C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYMANTEC\BACKUP EXEC
type in the following:
BEUPDATEOPS.EXE -addbe -optout

I would appreciate it if someone could help me re-enable the ability to manually choose these updates.  Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

OK what the optin/optout command does is set LiveUpdate to automatically download Backup Exec updates using the SEP schedule or leave Backup Exec set to manual only mode. It does not affect any other settings which are generic to the LiveUpdate Client itself and not part of Backup Exec.

If SEPM is configured in the environment then SEPM will control all the settings of this nature and will probably overwrite any registry modifications you make anyway - after all the point of SEPM policies is to enforce security settings on servers not to let admins bypass them. Note if there are  any possible registry keys these would part of LiveUpdate and not Backup Exec. I would therefore still suggest you look at reconfiguring SEPM as changes in Backup Exec will have no effect on your problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver

Start LiveUpdate from inisde the Backup Exec console (Tools menu)

When it opens don't click next - select the Options menu at the top of the screen and click Configure.
On the General Tab change the mode to Interactive.
Click OK
Hit Cancel on the LiveUpdate screen (as I think it keeps the settings from when it started so you have to restart it)
Re-run LiveUpdate from the Tools Menu - it should now work as you want.

rickyj
Level 3

The options choice is grayed out.  I believe it pulled a setting from the SEPM install that does not let the end user manage liveupdate options. 

Colin_Weaver

Ahh OK - well in that case you nmeed to go into SEPM and find teh correct profile (or whatever) setting

You might need to post on the SEP forums to solve it as that kind of restrictions is not a Backup Exec restriction.

rickyj
Level 3
It shouldn't be tied to SEPM anymore since i ran the command to opt out for the backup exec install.  I am wondering if there is a registry key that can be changed to renable this option instead.

Colin_Weaver

OK what the optin/optout command does is set LiveUpdate to automatically download Backup Exec updates using the SEP schedule or leave Backup Exec set to manual only mode. It does not affect any other settings which are generic to the LiveUpdate Client itself and not part of Backup Exec.

If SEPM is configured in the environment then SEPM will control all the settings of this nature and will probably overwrite any registry modifications you make anyway - after all the point of SEPM policies is to enforce security settings on servers not to let admins bypass them. Note if there are  any possible registry keys these would part of LiveUpdate and not Backup Exec. I would therefore still suggest you look at reconfiguring SEPM as changes in Backup Exec will have no effect on your problem.